Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted an herb and don't know what it is.
: It's fairly tall, about 2 feet, and, has small little red, pink and white flowers on it. Some of the flowers even have red and white on the same flower. Any ideas what it is?

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can try and get one. It just rained an inch in the last 45 minutes!!!! It's crazy here! Looks like the sun and blue skies are coming back soon though. If I can't get it tonight, I'll try tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
I planted an herb and don't know what it is.
: It's fairly tall, about 2 feet, and, has small little red, pink and white flowers on it. Some of the flowers even have red and white on the same flower. Any ideas what it is?
Not an herb, but could it be a scarlet runner bean, or a form of echineacea? Bee Balm also grows in those colors, as does yarrow root.

How big are the flowers? What do they look like? What do the leaves look like? Is it leafy? Large leaves or small?

Could you have planted cosmos, which are flowers? They come up in those colors, and are tall; the greens are very delicate and fern-like.

Are they vine-like?

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
: I'll post pics in the am.
The flowers are no bigger than my thumbnail. They are really weird to describe. Smallish leaves. It's kind of like a delicate bush. Did I just make this worse?

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
uu said what I was thinking, monarda.

you can narrow it down for us without photos- is the stem square? makes it a lamiatae. for example.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am trying. I am having some major problems with uploading though.
I'll try one more time and if it doesn't work, I'll have to go to someone else's house to upload them.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the flowers are fairly small and the actually look sort of like irises. Does that ring any bells?

Does bee balm have those bushy looking flowers? If I am thinking right, that's definitely not what this is.

Now, if I knew what it smelled like, I'd know what it is, wouldn't I?
It smells like an herb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts