Mothering Forum banner

Do you let your child have candy?

• No.

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • On rare occasions.

Votes: 84 41.0%
  • Maybe when they're older (what age do you think it's appropriate?)

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Yes.

Votes: 105 51.2%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We let them have a few treats on Halloween, but otherwise they don't eat candy. The few times they've tried any (ie. jellybeans on easter) they didn't even like it.
Just wondering, since when we visit my SIL's house with her 4 boys, they always ask what candy they can buy for our kids (since we're vegan), and I always say they don't need to buy any, not because of our diet, but because they generally don't care for it. And my SIL's MIL brings each child a BAG of candy every time she visits them, and it took a few years to make her understand that my children would not be eating their's.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I wish I could let my dd have all the candy she wants and learn to self-regulate with it. However, we have had major aggression issues, and one thing we found to reduce them (though not eliminate) is to cut out candy, chocolate and refined sugar from her diet. There are occasional lapses though, and it seems like there are special occasions every couple of weeks around here...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I voted yes. It's not daily, but when we go to the bank he gets a lolly and after a haircut he is allowed a treat of his choice. And at parties.

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
My 3 yo dd is allowed to self-regulate, but I never buy candy, it's not in our house and she very rarely asks for it.
She does have a thing for ice cream, and I often make it myself by running frozen fruit, usually bananas through the blender, but we also get regular ice cream. she can have as much as she wants whenever she wants, but she has to have a meal first. so now when she wants it she usually asks something like "mama can I have a sandwich before my ice cream?"

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
my six year old is allowed to self regulate (she's very good-will keep a bag of starbursts in her room for two months,) my three year old no.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We don't have it around the house, but if someone offers it or we go to a special event, I let him have it. He doesn't recognize packages of candy at the store yet but I'm sure that won't last much longer (3 yo). But I did complain to management at our local store after they decided to put 2 dozen bulk candy bins in the cereal aisle!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
we usually don't have any in the home, but between the bank, school parties, etc she doesn't feel deprived.
Our Halloween tradition include coming back from trick-or-treating, and Dh, dd and I sit down with her bag of candy and watch Halloween cartoons. dd can share like an angel

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Ds1 is 3 1/2. I let him have ice cream and chocolate on occasion, but we haven't gotten into candy yet at all. I imagine when he's older I'll let him have some, but right now I see no reason to get him started with candy. I like to think that ice cream and chocolate at least have some nutritional value for my skinny little guy.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
DS is 4 and he self regulates really well. Luckily he doesn't seem to have any aggression issues or dietary issues with sugar. We rarely buy it, but if we do, it's usually a bag of something like Kisses or M&Ms, and if he wants some first thing in the morning he'll say "Mom, can I have a breakfast with no sugar so I can have candy for dessert?"
I find it adorable! For what it's worth, he rarely eats candy because he'd rather have an ice cream cone!

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
It just depends on the type of candy. When it comes to lollipops from the bank or post office then yes. I don't allow stuff in the house usually because it's much harder to say no at home and once it runs out they just want more. But when we are outside the home I think of it as a treat. The same goes with sugary juices and sodas.

I mainly do this because of my daughter. My son is old enough to know when he can't have things so I'd have it in the house if it weren't for my youngest child.

I hate Halloween every year. Between that and Christmas and Easter my kids would have rotten teeth if I didn't trash most of it after they go to bed.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Holidays and parties are okay. We don't buy candy and keep it around otherwise.

Ds has his own money now and he can buy candy if he wants to, he just can't eat it whenever he wants. We keep it on top of the fridge and he can have a little bit each day - no one else eats it unless he shares. I'm thinking of having him self-regulate with it, on non-school days. The sugar and dyes really effect his behavior so it's hard to deal with - but he'll have to learn sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I don't buy candy for at home but ds sometimes has candy when we out. It's not a typical thing. Maybe once a month....If that.
I don't want to forbid it because I know what that was like when I was a kid (and I overcompensated for it later. lol) but I also don't want him eating it all the time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Halloween and if someone slips them something . . . I never buy candy for them. If they're going to eat something sweet, I'd prefer it to be baked and fresh, without all those dyes, preservatives, and crap in them. Frankly the sugar is probably one of the better things in them, except most everything has corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup- evil!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Nope - and I'd like to keep it that way.

Our version of candy is p.butter (or almond butter), coconut oil & honey mixed, put in candy trays and frozen. It's yummy and not junk.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
dd is almost 5 1/2. when she was very young, she was VERY behaviorally sensitive to chocolate. the first chocolate she had was when she was about 18 months. chocolate pudding at nanas --> over the top hyper for about six hours. a few months later, we tried again - it was a cold day, we had been playing outside, and i decided to make hot chocolate - she literally ran around the house until 1 am after that.

since i really don't like non-chocolate candy, we rarely had any in the house - so perhaps some jelly beans or peeps on easter. by the time she was 4ish, we discovered she wasn't as reactive to chocolate, so she'll have some on occasion (we really don't keep it in the house). for example, sometimes when we are grocery shopping, she and i will split a package of reese's peanut butter cups for the drive home.

ds is 15 months and has not had candy. he's a little more high strung than his sister to begin with, so i see no need to deal with sugar highs and crashes anytime soon.

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annikate
Our version of candy is p.butter (or almond butter), coconut oil & honey mixed, put in candy trays and frozen. It's yummy and not junk.
wow, great idea, thanks!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts