Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My dh is thinking of applying to a job at U Vermont in Burlington. Wonder if you like it there? What is it like? I am looking for a good place to raise kids, buy a house, get to some pretty outdoors! Any luck with Burlington?
Thanks, Jani

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow Burlington is the hot spot to move to this year. If you scan through this board you will find a ton of threads on moving to Burlington. Here is my summary on living here:

>It is a great place to raise children. There is an amazing bike path along the lake, lots of parks and beaches, diversity (for VT), Stowe and many other mountain resorts a short drive away. Montreal is about 2 hours away. Good school systems.

Is it perfect. No - housing is expensive right in town (but where isn't it?) You can choose to live outside of Burlington and pay less for housing but pay in time and gas to commute in and out everyday. It depends on what you want. We found affordable housing in what is considered the New North End of town. We only have one car. My DH bikes to work on the bike path or takes the bus in the winter because we are close to both.

I love it here. There could be more work options but again nowhere is perfect.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
DH and I are moving to Burlington when we sell our house in Northern VA. If that is any indication of how awesome it is than I don't know what else you would need to know!
Just kidding. For real, it is a wonderful place to raise our family. We certainly want to have our children in Vermont. Heck DH and I honeymooned in Middlebury last fall for the colors (missed them by a few days, but oh well). The people are very nice and it's easy to get around once you get the hang of it. Not like crummy NOVa with the traffic that takes you forever to get though and the overcrowding and the sprawl. It's a beautiful place.

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
kJad, it didn't take much to miss the fall colors last year. There was something wrong with them, I can't remember what; it had to do with either too much rain or not enough cold or something....
:

I don't live IN Burlington, but it is a great place!! We go there a lot from south central VT.

·
Registered
206 Posts
We too are looking at moving to this area...

Any suggestions on less-expensive areas around Burlington within commuting distance? My partner is a social worker, so we do not anticipate a large salary, and I am a SAHM. We'd like to find 2 - 3 acres with a smallish house, if such a thing is possible???

many thanks - I am quite overwhelmed with the whole thought of moving states, but it is time for it to happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts