Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally weighed and I have gained 4 pounds at 12 1/2 weeks. But boy, do I look pregnant! When I started out, I was 132 pounds and 5'5". I was happy with my weight and think it's about normal. But with only gaining 4 lbs, but looking like I've gained 8-10, I got to thinking.

So many people keep joking, saying I am having twins. I haven't seen anyone and decided to measure my own fundas using this:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...to.html?cat=52

Well, my dh did it and we came up with 19 cm. (You are supposed to be within 4 cm. of your weeks. ex. 12 weeks could be 8 cm or 16 cm. So this is a little much, IF we did it right!) But honestly, it was hard for me to figure out where my fundas ended. And it really seemed to be more on my left side than in the middle... atleast I could feel it more there.

Anyway, just curious if any of you have done this on your own and been successful. Or if your midwife/ob told you how you are measuring.

· Registered
4,238 Posts
I haven't gained any weight, but obviously twins were a concern for me prior to Friday (while *I* could get my measurements right on, my aunt- who's far more experienced than me...but like 40 years
- thought I was measuring a LOT further ahead). I have measured my own fundal height for the last 2 pregnancies but honestly you can't always rely on it with subsequent pregnancies (at least not until later when growth tends to even out a bit). There are so many variables, especially if you can't pinpoint your fundus. With my MW for prenatals last time I regularly measured 4-6 weeks ahead.

Any other signs of twins!?!

· Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post

Any other signs of twins!?!
Well, I had more m/s in the first trimester than ANY other pregnancy I've ever had. (all 9 of them) And my dh's dad is a twin. That's about it. I really haven't looked up any twin information. The people who've commented on having twins haven't said it because of how I look, but they've "slipped" and said things like "babies" instead of "baby". Then they'd correct themselves and laugh.

The funny thing is that ever since I was pg with my 2nd, I would have twin dreams all the time so I expected EVERY pregnancy to be twins. Since this pregnancy wasn't planned or expected, I'm now saying, "Not now! Not now!!!" So it's my own paranoia really!! And the fact that this is the only time I really didn't want twins! (but I know I'd be completely happy with it!)

So... I know i could go look up "symptoms" but I also know even 'twin' pregnancies may not have any extreme symptoms... I just thought measuring the fundal height might make me feel better if I saw it normal for having one baby.

· Registered
82 Posts
This is only my third preg. I have gained 4lbs and am 12.5 wks. also.
I look VERY prego!! My family was teasing me yesterday.
I already had an u/s and they were certain there was only 1. I think maybe I am also really bloated.

· Registered
634 Posts
I haven't measured, because my uterus is in a strange spot so far. I was confused about whether I was feeling it because it seemed like it was too high, but my midwife felt my uterus last week and it was right where I thought it was.

At 14 weeks into my fourth pregnancy, my fundus is way up near my bellybutton (so probably 18 or 19 inches.) It doesn't, however fill the whole space below my belly button like it would at 20 weeks. I can feel the sides of my uterus too, and it's the appropriate size for 14 weeks (according to my midwife.) If you try to make a circle with both hands, using your thumbs and forefingers, it is about that big or slightly bigger. Are you seeing a midwife? Having her feel your uterus should either put to rest your suspicions or give you good reason to investigate further and get an ultrasound.

I think what other people mentioned is right -- fundal height is most accurate after 20 weeks and until 36 or so.

· Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I am really not "worried" it's twins... just thought I could measure my fundus and if it was measuring big, it might give me a clue that would be fun to think on. And no, I am not seeing a midwife. We had a UC last time and are leaning toward one now. But I would like to see someone in the meantime and get my u/s at around 20 weeks. Just haven't made that decision yet.

Thanks again! The article made it sound a lot easier than it really is!

· Registered
527 Posts
how did you palpate? the girl at the midwife's was trying to show me how to do my own, she did kind of a rocking motion with the side of her hand (pinkie side not thumb side)
there should be a youtube tutorial hahaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.