Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Non pregnant I am normal weight and height and don't fluctuate at all.

With my first pregnancy I gained close to 45 pounds even after losing 7 pounds in the first trimester. I didn't eat too horribly and tried to just listen to what my body needed.

This pregnancy I am 22 weeks and have already gained 15 pounds. I know with dd I gained the majority of my weight in the 3rd trimester so this worries me a bit.

I eat even better during this pregnancy and can't say that I've really increased my calories from pre-pregnancy, so I'm not sure why I gain so easily in pregnancy.

Anyone else gain more weight than you feel you are eating in calories?

· Registered
394 Posts
I naturally gain a lot of weight too when I'm pregnant. Normally my weight doesn't fluctuate, I've been the same weight for the last 15 years. With DS I gained 38 lbs and so far this time, I've gained 25 at 28 weeks.

· Registered
2,963 Posts
I gain a lot when pregnant, and loose darn near all of it within the first 3 months pp. Well, I did with DD
I gained about 40 pounds with her... and had horrible morning sickness almost the entire pregnancy. I'm now 27 weeks and have gained 25 pounds, so right on track in my estimation. I'm hungry all the time, this time around and packing away healthy food. So i know I'm getting extra calories...

· Registered
1,236 Posts
I TOTALLY do. First time I gained 58 lbs (normally my bmi is around 17, and you would describe me as thin), got back to pp weight at about 5-6 months. Next time I put on 42 lbs and again back pretty quickly---even went lower bc I gave up dairy for the baby.

Just eat healthy. I think there is a genetic range out there----some put on more, others less.

Like bf. I've had friends who were ravenous bf. I was not. Baby just sucked out all the weight I had put on.

· Registered
2,034 Posts
Yep! I gain very easily in pregnancy.
40lbs the first, 50 lbs the second and looks to be about 45 this time around. I gain 1/2 of it in the 3rd tri, and most of it seems to be water weight, (I get kinda puffy, lol) probably because my pregnancies all end late summer after all the HOT weather.
I start out as 5'10" and 120ish lbs though, and I lose it all without effort by the time my baby turns 1, so Im not worried but I sure do feel like a hippo right about now.

· Registered
3,086 Posts
I am a tiny bit under weight non-pg. With DD I lost about 10 lbs, then gained 50lbs. My BP went sky high and they induced me early.

With this one, I started at 125 and have only gained 8 lbs. I have been cutting out a lot of junk and cut out salt. I eat so much better and am starting yoga, so this time I can go into labor by myself.

· Registered
357 Posts
I always gain a good bit more than the "Average" but I'm also smaller than average to begin with anyway.

Women who are overweight in early pregnancy tend to gain less weight while women who are underweight when they get pregnant tend to gain more weight.

Angela <><

· Registered
1,711 Posts
I am normally around 115. I don't fluctuate much at all. With DD's pregnancy i gained 35-40 lbs after loosing 5-7 in the first tri. Now i am starting out a bit lower than my normal due to eliminationg foods during BF'ing (DD has allergies). I am expecting to gain pretty much the same amount. I lost all the weight plus a significant amount more by about 6 months out.

· Registered
240 Posts
OP you sound like me. With my first (a girl) I gained like 46 lbs., but I was actually sick a lot and a picky eater most of the time. With my 2nd (a boy) I gained 14 lbs. I did not gain any weight past week 22. There was 1 lb. that came and went from week to week, but at the end it was gone. The baby came out 8 lbs. and I came out *smaller*.

BTW, I was very thankful for seeing a midwife. Since I gained no weight *and* went two weeks "overdue," I can't imagine what an OB would have done with that info!

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Yep, I feel like I gain quite a bit in pregnancy. I started off this pregnancy weighing less so I thought that trend would continue - nope. I just gained more. I guess it's what my body has to do to build a baby.
I gained 35 lbs with ds but it all came off in 6 weeks and then I lost 20 lbs past that.
This pregnancy I started out 15 pounds lighter but have gained 10 lbs more - I am currently at 45 lbs.
It's annoying because I would love to be one of the woman who just gain belly but it's just not what happens

· Registered
341 Posts
Yes after this time Im convinced. I didnt eat that bad in my last pregnancy but also ate whatever the heck I wanted. I gained 51 lbs. I started at 130 and 5'4 so Ive always been "thin". This time Ive eaten even better and am exercising and Ive already gained 20 lbs at 24 weeks!!! I cant even believe it. By 3 months pp I was down to 125 so I know I can lose it again but I really hate carrying soo much weight when pregnant. I have a horrible back too because my chest gets even bigger with pregnancy and its horrible.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
I gained over 40-45 pounds with each pregnancy, from a starting weight about 115-120. MW was a little freaked out, but she recognized that I eat well, and my bp is always always normal. This time, she's not worried about the weight gain - she knows me
I dropped most of it within 3 months, but remained a little pudgy for over a year - both times. I nursed over 2 years with both. About 2.5 years pp, both times, I returned to pre-pregnancy belly-thinness, and I joked that it meant it was time to get pregnant again.
(4 years between first 2, and will be almost 5 years this time, so I had a good long while to enjoy my body again)

do not worry!!

· Registered
752 Posts
Me! And I NEED every ounce! Here's my pattern:

I'm 5'5- DS1 150lbs starting (healthy upper end of BMI)- 215 delivery
Post nursing 1 yr 115 lbs w/a 3-5K calorie/day intake (and a lot of testing for thyroid, etc)
DS 2- 135 starting weight (had to wean a bit to gain & conceive), 195 delivery weight
Post nursing 1 yr 112 lbs w/same caloric intake
This time started at 129 (again had to wean a bit to gain & conceive), 184 current
With the first 2 I was back to pre-preggo weight by 4 months PP then just couldn't stop losing no matter what I did.

Pre-DS1 my weight was really stable 140s

It matters NOTHING what I eat. I gained 0 lbs for 5 wks this trimester eating just the same as I when I gain 3 lbs/wk. My body needs everything to nurse. I've come to the point where I'm scared of not gaining enough! I HATE being under 125. I prefer to be around 135-145 lbs- I look very unhealthy so thin. I firmly believe in my body's dictation of what I need to gain to nurse successfully. Thankfully the MWs I've seen this pregnancy told me to start I need to gain 40-60 based on my history so I've gotten no flack!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.