Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding myself sitting awake right now late at night just to be alone after being with my toddler and 4-y-o all day. I find I need it for my sanity- just be physically alone for a few minutes. I know my 18 month old will want to nurse tonight and I need to feel just air around me and no kids for a short time in order to feel like myself.

I am hiding from my kids- but they are asleep, so it is OK. Anyone else experience this? As an attached mom I am there with them all the time it seems and I can only do it with some silence and alone time for me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes. I cherish my alone time after everyone is finally asleep. I have a ritual of eating a bowl of cereal on the couch and watching Conan (or reading posts here). It gives me a chance to unwind, relax, and gather my thoughts so I can be ready for the next day.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I told my ds today if he would be quiet for just 5 minutes I would give him a quarter. His response? "Why? Which one quarter? Two pennies? Why quiet? On phone? Just quiet? Me want talk to yoooouu! Look me mama, talk me. Why? Dada sleeping?" I kept my quarter. I think lately I have been craving peace and silence so much that I wake up at 3 am to get it. Yes, I understand.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Oh yeah. I am up every morning at 4:00-4:30 so I can have a few hours of "me" time. The rest of the time belongs to DD. mommies and daddies need to recharge - we are human, after all. (though after a night of nursung every 1-1/2 hours I am not feeling very human this morning...LOL)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Oh god yes! I need alone time everyday to recharge.

I have three ds - 5yr, 3yr and 3 mos and most of my awake time is dedicated to feeding, bathing, entertaining and/or disciplining them.

My oldest two go to bed each night around 7:30-8. I then get the baby to sleep soon after that.

Then dh and I curl up on the couch in total silence and read books - he'll usually even rub my back or feet.

That way I go to bed completely relaxed and can face another day of chaos!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
h*ll yes, honey!
my son goes to bed early and my dd wakes up late, so my early am and late pm, i just deal with one. then they take a nap at roughly the same time so i get some free time (free being quite relative when keeping a household...lol)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Oh my goodness yes!!!! I couldn't LIVE without alone time. I get REALLY cranky REALLY fast if I get no alone time during the day. I live on very little sleep because I crave my alone time. I would rather get less sleep than give up my quiet time at night. I get up every mornign at 7am(M is a late sleeper because she's up all night) and I stay up until about 1am or 2am because I really need a few hours at night to recharge my batteries and center myself again after a long day. I put in some major hours during the day between school work and Madyson and all the other projects and responsibilities that I can't say no to, so I need my night time. I finally crawl into bed at 1am or 2am and I'm ready to snuggle my baby and tend to her nighttime needs.
Meg

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
YES!!!

I don`t think I would be a good mama without my alone-time.

DS goes to bed around 7.30 PM and sleeps until 8-8.30 AM (he still wakes up a few times during the night.)

So I have several hour for myself at night. I cheerish those hours!

I love my son with all my heart, but it IS hard to entertain a child/children all day, every day.

So I totally understand the need for alone time!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who needs alone time! I HAVE to take a bath every night to keep sane! It's my only "me time" without both kids around! After DS goes to bed around 8:30 then DH and the baby have "their time" and I get my bath! It totally recharges me!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I call it "mama time". My older kdis are totally clear on it. After the toddlers are in bed and I've finished reading the books or whatever to my older son, it's "mama time". If my son wants to stay up and play in the playroom or in his room that's fine. He just has to stay away from me. I tell them I need to recharge to be a good mama. They're fine with it. It totally makes a difference for me as a single parent.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MamaMonica
Anyone else experience this?
Oh ya! And on bad days sometimes I will come up to my room and be alone for a little bit. If I didn't I think I may go

To those that don't need time alone --
:LOL

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Oh yeah! I am thankful that ds was able to start school this fall, and I put dd in Mother's Day Out twice a week just to have some time to myself. With dh traveling so much(gone about 9-10 mos a year) it's the only thing that's kept my kids from being duct taped and locked in a closet :LOL :LOL(joking of course
)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts