Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm interested in trying the raw food diet. I don't have a blender or a food processor anymore. Both have stopped working. I looked at Vitamixes and they are very costly. Is it necessary to have that strong a blender to eat raw?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think so. I have an oster blender with a food processor attatchment. I think it was $50 at WalMart. I wanted a juicer to make carrot juice. I got a Hamilton Beach model for $60 Otherwise, I prefer to blend the whole fruit for the fiber. I'm considering a dehydrator now but not right away. If I'm still raw when my machine dies I'll go the vitamix route. That way, you can always use a blender but a vitamix is like a major appliance.

I cut up my fruit and but it in blender with a little water. Or greens with water, enough to blend it. It's just me so I think it's fine. If you have a raw vegan family you are contantly blending stuff up for it would be a different story.

IMO you need a food processor. I find eating nuts is easier on my digestion if they are ground and when you get a hankering for something sweet nuts and honey etc.. in a blender is really yummy!

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
IMO, it does help. I don't have one, yet, but my dear friend who posts here quite often has one and I love, love, love eating at her house. Her smoothies are SO much better than mine and she makes soup and hummus and other stuff in hers. Actually, I don't think she even has a food processor; she just uses her vitamix.

And things like cashew cream are soooo much better from a vitamix than a food processor.

I think it's a wise investment.

·
Registered
145 Posts
No, you don't need a VitaMix to eat raw but it certainly does help.

We started out with a simple Osterizer which did just fine for a while. Once we did get a vitamix most things became easier and quicker; best of all the green smoothies became smooooooooth.

A wise investment indeed if you are really going to use it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzharmony View Post
I wonder if there is something like the vitamix but with a glass carafe. I don't like that the vitamix carafe is plastic.
No, there are no "high performance" blenders such as the Vitamix that come with glass. The reason for this is a matter of safety - the glass risks breaking during use.

There are some Stainless steel options but that gets really expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.