Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. Having my friends fall in love with the CD's was easy.. lol They are pretty...

Having them come close to understanding my side of the vax debate.. that's a whole nother story. lol

They do respect my choices though.. I have one friend who doesn't have any children.. which i think is one of the reasons we are such good friends,
and I have 1 that had two children that are 3 and 5. which I thought were just about done, but she said they have more at the 3rd year and the 4th year WBV?!! what is up with that?! I thought it was until 2, and then no more until school. Anyone know what they could be giving at ages 3 and 4?

But anyway.. I normally don't get into these kinds of things with friends. I don't want to debate parenting stuff, nor do I want to try to change her mind.. I do wish she would Research the topic though. But i'm not going to send her a bunch of stuff on it.

So how do you handle friends who Vaccinate? Do you spend alot of time biting your tounge like I do? lol Maybe you figured it was easier not to have any. lol It's very hard to not say stuff when she vaxes against HepB at birth, because her father has hepC, or when she is scared to death of tetnus.. because she's worried that one of her kids might step on a rusty nail. lol Well if you're worried about rusty nails don't bring them over here, DH is always finding them here. lol

what do you do? do you say anything?

TIA!

Jennifer

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I've tried to get my vaxing friends to just look at the ingredients or check out a more mainsteam-ish book like "What Your Doctors May Not Tell You....", but they don't care. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. So we have a little pact -- don't tell me about your child being on ABX and other mainstream practices and I won't talk about vaccinations.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea.. I like that one..

Ignorance is bliss completely with my friend.. although when she got a computer finally a couple months ago, I did send her a couple links to places like here and other more natural parenting places.. hoping she would decide to see what i'm talking about. lol

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I try to be like "i couldn't believe it when I found out they are making vaccines from aborted fetal tissue" or "Isn't it crazy that 80% of the mumps outbreak was in people who were vax for it? Shows how non-affective the vax really are!" etc but then I leave it. I think there are a lot of more important issues such as BF and leaving your baby intact

·
Registered
220 Posts
One of my very best friends is in nursing school right now. She's one of those people who just is right ... if she says it, you smile and nod even if you disagree, because she's also one of those people who has to have the last word, and it's pointless to begin. AND, she's concentrating on babies/pediatrics, wants to get her BSN eventually ... and she actually IMed me right as I started typing this.

I'm avoiding the topic with her altogether, needless to say.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I really don't discuss it much. If someone brings it up, I'm not afraid to tell friends we don't vaccinate, and I definitely make sure they know we're very well informed (which, unfortunately, usually leaves them sputtering about how they didn't know this or that, but they know vaccines or safe), then that's the end of it. I'm not out to save the world, you know?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Most of my friends are either like me and don't vax or are we don't really talk about it. I have one friend that doesn't vax her animals and I was casually talking to her about what she is going to do when she has her baby in December.

My sister doesn't vax but she and I got into a HEATED argument about it a couple years ago. She had just started nursing school and decided she thought vaxing made sense. We got really mad and yelled at each other. She got vaxes when she started the patient portion and I was SO disappointed. She tells me now she was never sure about vaxing and now I guess she thinks it is a good idea?

Other friends I have I won't tell because they are the kind that are spoon fed by their doctors and god forbid anyone question what a doctor tells you. I have one friend that totally flipped when I told her why we don't give DD cow milk. This friend also won't take her DD outside because she might get sunburned

My inlaws flipped when they found out DD wasn't being vaccinated. They think I am a wacko anyway and so DH told me to just ignore them. They have never asked me about it but they have complained to DH about it before.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn5388
what do you do? do you say anything?
I usually wait until someone asks me for information. However, if there is a new recommendation and/or law passed with respect to school mandates in NY, I send out emails.

I just had friend/neighbor ask for NC exemption information b/c she's moving and more vaxes are required there. She's armed with her letter. I always tell everyone who's pregnant that NYS immunization requirements are different than the AAP recommendations and to let me know if they want a link - they always say yes and profusely thank me in their email response. I have found that most parents do not want to give more than what is required for school entry.

Everyone knows they can ask me anything at any time and I won't get in their face - not too much anyway.
Just last year, my sister called me right from the ped's office examining room and asked me, "what's this new meningitis vax the doctor wants me to get Junior? Does he need it for school?"

Needless to say, my 14 year nephew left there without the shot.
I also sent her a few links on meningitis, incidence and of course GBS (and other adverse events) to back up what I said to her while we briefly spoke over the phone.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plummeting
I really don't discuss it much. If someone brings it up, I'm not afraid to tell friends we don't vaccinate, and I definitely make sure they know we're very well informed (which, unfortunately, usually leaves them sputtering about how they didn't know this or that, but they know vaccines or safe), then that's the end of it. I'm not out to save the world, you know?
:

Everyone I know IRL vaxes their kids. I bring certain points (obvious reactions, vax ingredients, aborted fetal cells) up with people now and then, but it quickly becomes obvious that they don't want to know.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I do not bring it up much anymore. But I have never told family-except for a few distant relatives where I felt it was ok to say. My parents do not (well Dad passed now) know. Just the other day I told my Mom about the Abraham case and she says they do that stuff b/v of "those crazy religious types that do not " beleive" in Doctors".

I know vaxers and non vaxers. I rarely discuss it with the non vaxers. One friend was gonna stop unti lthe ytried to charge her with medical neglect just for saying calling a Doc for a question abotu her son, and realizing he was fine and not brign ing him in (he has VWD). They ame to his school threatened her and when she said No to the unnecessary meds, the yput teh charges on her. Of course, charges were illegal and dropped but she is sooooo afraid to confront them again. (And she is very mainstream!)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't purposefully bring things up, but I never hide it either. If it comes up I will discuss things and deliver the facts.

I was just told this weekend by my BIL that I "am just always right and there is not point in even disagreeing with you because you just won't stop" and I was like "Well, don't try to have an intellegent discussion without facts. Telling me you researched something by asking your doctor and a couple of friends what they think does not constitute research." He told me I am intimidating. I told him I am informed!!

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
I'm
. I tell them straight up that I love and care about them, and that is why I don't want them to risk killing or injuring their baby. And then I give them the info.
I have had some go ahead and vax, and then freak, and come runnin' asking for more info.
For example, I will start with this one:
http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/..._4305_4308.pdf

Quote:
Also present are 0.5% of 2-phenoxyethanol and a maximum of 0.02% of
formaldehyde per dose as preservatives.
http://www.*********/vaccines/ingredients1.html

Quote:
Formaldehyde:
EDF Recognized - carcinogen
http://www.newstarget.com/004290.html

Quote:
the recent news that cancer has surpassed heart disease as the number one killer of Americans
That at least gets their minds thinking.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
i try not to talk about it. i try to talk to dh but most of the time his reply is "you are so dogmatic..there's no talking to you". and this is from a person who is still researching!

i find there are so many facts that its overwhelming to some. i hvae a friend who doesnt know what she is going to do and i try to talk to her about it but there are always distractions. i find that ppl have to do their own research.

and i guess i am now becoming part of the weirdo vax forum crowd lately since i really cant take hearing someone credit their pediatrican and other medical personnel with helping them "research" teh issue. yeh, right!

·
Registered
68 Posts
One of my best friends vaxes her son, i try to stay away from the conversation but our yougest daughter and her son is 2 weeks apart in age so she'll ask me if my daughter had her well baby visit yet, she's very much against non-vaxing, she thinks if ya don't vax you must not care as much about ur child
: she tries to convince me how much danger i'm putting my children in
So i change the conversation and try hard not to go there again. We get along very well if the vax conversation doesn't come up, she will not even listen if you try to tell her why u don't vax

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
all of my friends/co-workers vaccinate - most of them think we are crazy for not. one of my co-workers said that when they chose a dr. for their dd that meant that they would trust the dr. to do whatever was right and not ask questions because he was the one with the medical degree, not them. hmmmmm.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
I pretty much don't discuss it anymore, unless they ask. I am so sick of "but how will they be HEALTHY?"

GET. AWAY. FROM. ME.
:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
All my friends and most of my family either selectively vaccinate, or fully vaccinate. I'm happy that the selective ones are mostly that way because of my talking to them. One small step at a time, yk?

They all know I don't. It's such a big part of my life, those close to me have no choice but to know. They call me brave/stupid/crazy, and that's that. I'm really laid back, I don't take it personally. They're afraid, and I understand that.

I quietly keep plugging away, mentioning things as they come up.

They do call me or come to me for advice on sickness and other things their kids suffer from. Mostly because they know I research so much. Or will research something for them.

I've lived a life where I know people can't/won't change until they understand they can do things differently. I just keep hoping that maybe the 100th time they hear "there's a different way", it might click.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
All of my friends vax. It's a very lonely thing.

I've had a couple strongly pro-life friends who I tried to talk about aborted fetal tissue being used in several of the vaccines. They were shocked... but continued to vaccinate anyway. There's just too much fear.

Suz

·
Registered
922 Posts
IRL I don't know ANYONE who doesn't vax...well, except my siblings aren't vax'd (lucky kids!) My parents decided to stop vaxing after me! Oh well. I don't talk about it, unless given the opportunity. I don't try to push it on anyone, but I do say why I don't vax and hope it starts people thinking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts