Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in opening a small natural foods store in the next town over from us. I am totally in the brainstorming phase. I'm looking to pick someone's brain who has opened a store before... (not nec. food)

tia!

· Registered
4,642 Posts
I work in a grassroot store, We (DH and I) didn't open it, but I'm pretty sure that I could answer general questions.
Also my degree is in restaurant management so I have done and helped in business plans for a bunch of different restaurants (both real and imaginary
) I don't know if you were talking prepackaged natural foods or cafe style natural foods. Either way your big things to consider would be location, licenses and distributors. If you can solidify those three things you'll be golden!

I would go for it, if you have never worked or been a part of a small business you have no idea the rewards mentally spiritually and (if your lucky!) monetarily that you will receive!!

· Registered
10,708 Posts
I don't own a store, but if you don't mind, I'd like to make a suggestion. It is my understanding, from other store owners here, that distributors like to make product recommendations based on your target market. I have found that the stores that make a concerted effort to find out what potential customers in their area want in regards to brands and types of products do better. For example, it's pretty offensive to sell Horizon Organic dairy products in WI. People like coconut oil, but refined Spectrum oil isn't what people around here like either. They'd prefer Wilderness Family and other higher quality unrefined oils.

Feel free to take my opinion and tell me to stick it since you weren't asking for anything from a non business owner.
I have just seen a lot of small businesses of this type flop around and many failed because they didn't listen to the community as much as they should have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.