Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I know he's awake I will sometimes put the computer speaker up to my tummy.

So far I think he likes Jack Johnson and Sarah McLachlan.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never have had either one react that way. When dd was really active I used to put soothing music near my tummy and she'd slow down or even stop completely.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I do. Almost every night when I lie down I put headphones on my belly and play classical music or southern African drumming and accapella music.

I did the same for my son.

I don't know if there truly is any cognitive benefit, although some research suggests it. I do believe, though, that the baby enjoys it

Cheers!
lilgreen

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I don't put the speakers on my belly or anything, but I have a couple of CDs I play daily so that he will be familiar with them when he comes out. I just play then at a comfortable volume and assume that he hears them. He seems to like them

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Not this time around, not enough hours in the day. I figure he's getting a pretty good dose from the CD's we play.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My husband is a professional musician (drummer) - while pregnant with my DS and currently with DS#2, I expose myself to his concert and practice time so that the babes will 1. be used to it and sleep through it and 2. have a deeper internal sense of music and rhythm. DS's first sounds (outside uterus) where of DH's fingers playing some beat (I am not musically inclined) and he has since played drums and piano pretty much from the time he could hold sticks or sit up by himself. At 2.5 years old he can play simple beats and piano better than me. I think some is genetic from dad and the rest exposure.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I sing a lot to the baby. Sometimes I put on the one lullaby CD where it is just instrumental and they include the lyrics so you can sing... fisher price I think.

I make up songs. I butcher other ones. Like absentmindedly I start to sing, "Baby, Baby, give me a love that's true. I'm so crazy over the love of you. It won't be a stylish..." then I realize the song is getting kind of weird so I stop.

DH has always been big on making up songs, so I think it rubbed off on me. He walks around the house singing, "I took a big poo, yeah yeah." I wish I could cover the baby's ears for that one. I cover MY ears and grin because he's so darn cute, even if he is singing about disgusting smelly BMs.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiro_kristin
DH has always been big on making up songs, so I think it rubbed off on me.
My dad used to do this, constantly--it was so endearing.

Young Tadpole woke me up with vigorous kicking, so I'm breaking out the music in honor of this thread.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Yes it is definitely a good morning for some music. I'm thinking Gipsy Kings to get my blood pumping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts