Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your child is successfully using the potty at home, do you bring a potty with you when you go out?

How does that work? Where do you use it?

I'm a little confounded about the whole thing. When we go to the playground or other places without a bathroom (at least one that I would let her use!) the only other thing I can think of is putting a diaper on her, but that seems to send mixed signals to a child.

Yet, I cannot fathom toting a potty around with us.

We're already lugging along so many things... and soon there will be a newborn in the mix. How much can one woman juggle?

Please, wise mamas, enlighten me!!!

·
Banned
972 Posts
Oh yes!!! I brought one of those potties that fold down flat from a baby store. They are great, but the refills are expensive. Some people say just use your own plastic bags, and put a sanitary napkin in the bottom to absorb the urine. And since I brought by little blue and yellow potty, jeep? I think has come out with a new, cuter one thats black and green and goes with a whole stroller combo.

How do I use it? I put it on the ground between two cars and shield my DD for privacy. You can also take it into the handicapped toilet in a store, and put it on the ground for DD. (But some people use foldable toilet covers for that purpose.)

Now.....I just wish my DD were realllly potty trained. I could open up a potty training boutique in my house-- but my DD hasn't made the commitment to the potty yet.

Faith

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
We keep one in the trunk of the car, just in case. DD will use a public potty, but if we're on a long trip or if we're somewhere where there isn't a bathroom, she will use it outside.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ani'smommy
We keep one in the trunk of the car, just in case. DD will use a public potty, but if we're on a long trip or if we're somewhere where there isn't a bathroom, she will use it outside.
So, will you bring it to places like restaurants?

I can't picture myself marching past diners with a potty in my hand. It seems so... indiscreet, I guess.

Plus, in a more practical manner, it just seems like a really bulky thing to tote along with all the other stuff.

·
Registered
885 Posts
We got this at Babies R Us and it has worked well for us. It folds up and fits into the diaper bag perfectly! It is also easy to wipe down with antibacterial wipes after each use. We don't have a seperate potty for DD at home, just a potty seat that goes on the regular toliet, so she is used to sitting on the "big" potty.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
We sure do! We keep a potty chair in the car in case he has to go in between rest stops. And we carry around a small tote with spare clothes and one of those potty seats you put on a regular toilet because his bum's too small for regular toilets. You can't tell that's what we're carrying--we have a flat zippered small tote that it fits in perfectly.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
WE keep a little potty in the trunk of the car. For awhile dd would not go pee outside s we had to have the potty for parks. She will use the big potty at restaurants/malls etc.

·
Registered
643 Posts
We don't tote a potty anywhere, although we're going on a trip soon and will get one for that. Luckily the parks we go to have decent bathrooms. DS will use a public restroom, I just hold him on usually. Although sometimes he wants to do it all by himself, which he does just fine at. He somehow balances himself on there and has never fallen in (knock wood). There has only been one time that we were at a big park and were too far from the bathroom for him to make it, so we let him go outside behind a tree
Thank goodness it wasn't poop

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaKat
So, will you bring it to places like restaurants?

I can't picture myself marching past diners with a potty in my hand. It seems so... indiscreet, I guess.

Plus, in a more practical manner, it just seems like a really bulky thing to tote along with all the other stuff.
Nah, she's fine using the public toilets. She likes to use the big potty at home, too. Sometimes she wants to use the little one, but she wants to be like everyone else.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marymamma
We got this at Babies R Us and it has worked well for us. It folds up and fits into the diaper bag perfectly! It is also easy to wipe down with antibacterial wipes after each use. We don't have a seperate potty for DD at home, just a potty seat that goes on the regular toliet, so she is used to sitting on the "big" potty.
We had a similar seat (the Dora version) that we took with us on overnight trips, as she was also used to a potty seat on the regular toilet.

I never took any sort of potty seat with me when we went out on daytrips - she would use a regular public toilet, I kept several changes of clothes with me, and there were times when I stopped on the side of the road to encourage her to go.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Nope. I do not. Way too much hassle. I just hold her on public restroom toilets. I always put some toilet paper on the seat or wipe it down with a wipe so she is not actually touching anything gross. If there is no restroom, it is too far away, or it is too gross to even think about, I have zero qualms with finding a bush. I just cradle her with her butt down. If she poos I do carry a plastic bag to pick it up and dispose of it. I did not want to buy a little potty (too much plastic waste and most of them hurt my eyes) and I did not even start her off on one. I figured it would be way easier to have her out and about (which is most of the time) if she was used to using the big potty. We do use an insert seat at home. I do borrow a potty chair for our pop-up camper so I am not trudging off to outhouses in the middle of the night. But I think even those days are over. She never needs to go in the middle of the night and if she does, there is always that bush.......

Something I do that I think might work for toddlers is just carrying a small mason jar or other wide mouthed receptacle. We always keep one in the tent or camper so no one has to hike it in the middle of the night. I would imagine that would work fine. In fact, that is what I will be doing for dd on our next camping trip......

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
we have one of those potty rings that go on the big potty. It fits really well in a backpack, and she wears it in restraunts and whenever we are out and about (her backpack with the potty seat in it) and we just go into the bathrooms and put it on the toilet and that's that. Makes it alot less traumatic because she's TERRIFIED of falling in..

·
Registered
570 Posts
The only time we ever brought one along was on trips where we would be somewhere for a few days. If we were just out for a few hours or the day I would just ask if she wanted to use the big potties or wear a diaper. If she picked no diaper then I would be good about checking in with her, and having her try periodically. Eventually she always picked the potty so I stopped asking.

·
Banned
972 Posts
Google the "On the Go Potty" if you are interested in a discreeet, portable one. It's smaller than a frisbee, and almost as flat, and comes in it's own little small, portable bag. (The legs for this potty fold in and out, so that's how it can be both a potty chair and flat and portable.) It's about $9.99, but the refills are kind of expensive, so that's why some mom's just make their own. My daughter's just too small to be holding over a large, loud, public toilet-- so using those are not going to be feasable for a while. Besides, I'm sure down the line on day she is going to want to go somewhere where there are no public potties. Heck-- I've even used this potty on a camping trip, when I didn't want to walk through a rain storm at night to get to the toilets! LOL!

Good luck.

Faith

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
We've never even used a potty, let alone carried one around, but then again my ds was 3.5 when he potty trained so using the "big" toilet wasn't a big deal.

My neighbor carries a potty for her dd when we go out cuz her dd (3yo) cuz if her dd tries to crouch and pee in the bushes she pees all over her shoes. With her son she just had him stand up and pee in the bushes. (I've done the same, BTW.)

I could just never be hassled with a potty. However, now ds2, although only 2yo, loves to sit in little potties whenever he seems them at the toy store or friend's houses. So I'm thinking about breaking down and buying one to see if he's interested in using it. I just have such an aversion to them, but I'm not sure why.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts