Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of those people who say that
:.
Do you really think it doesn't matter? I got in to an interesting conversation with a fellow nurse who circ'd her son. She tried to justify it as they always do. Here is about how it went down.

Her: Circ's are so much easier to deal with. (making a face of disgust)
Me: How does it get any easier, I don't do anything different then you do.
Her: Exactly, that is why so many kids end up with infections. I took care of a little boy with a massive infection. If you heard the blood curdling scream from that room you would have done it too.
Me: He was probably forcibly retracted. Many doctors don't know they aren't supposed to do that. when you do that you cause abrasions which can become infected.
Her: Well when I am dead and gone and he is 80 and in a nursing home I want to make sure he doesn't have any issues.
Me: By the time he is in a nursing home more than 50% of men will be intact so our knowledge of care for the intact penis will be very sharp.
Her: I don't think so.
Me: I left the choice for my sons to make. If they really think it will be an issue and they don't want to have a foreskin they can have it removed. Your son can get back what is missing.
Her: I guess he won't miss it. Do you know any men who miss their foreskin?
Me: Oh yeah I do. I hear about it all the time. They feel shafted.
Both of us: LOL
Her: Shafted, that was great. LOL
Me: yeah literally.

As she was walking away I said, "I hope a girl never tells him they prefer an intact penis. He may go looking for info about what that means and he will learn about what he is missing."

My blood boils when people are like that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kldliam View Post
I really RESPECT women like you. Women who are not afraid to open their mouth and speak up about injustice! I just discovered that not everyone in here knows how to do that.
Some times I am a little sheepish but when it is some who should know better...
Or some one I love like a sibling I would speak out. I don't want anyone to feel bad about the choices they made b/c I have no idea if the already feel bad. There is no need to make it worse. Sometimes it is hard to know who really feels bad b/c they cover it up by justifying. Then again some people justify it b/c they truly think it was justified due to lack of knowledge. We will never win until MGM is on the same page as FGM. My mission is to save the world one penis at a time
That is the best I can do for now that is until I write a book and sell millions of copies.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:
momongeon: I don't want anyone to feel bad about the choices they made b/c I have no idea if the already feel bad. There is no need to make it worse.
MOST of the time I believe that there is a way to discuss the concept of genital integrity in a delicate and respectful manner with EVERYONE. HOWEVER, when someone is "in your face" rude or vile, I personally have ZERO tolerance! Why would I care if I make them feel badly? It doesn't matter if we are talking MGM, FGM, or "what's for dinner?", respect is a 2-way street.

With that being said, if ALL of us could actually curb our feelings in order to avoid making ~people feel badly about the choices they have made~....well, we best all shut our mouths now.

That there may just be the key to world peace I think.
lol

But a heck of alot of human injustice is gonna continue.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
she sounded pretty cold hearted. I believe that when a woman still defends circ AFTER they know the truth about circ, they are cold and not a compassionate mother at all. If someone tells me okay I see your point, wow, I should've done more research on it or I regret doing it, etc. then to me that's what it counts and I see their compassion and real love to their children.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm so afraid that some of my friends will circ even after I share all the info with them. If they do, I won't be able to remain friends with them. It's a monstrous side of people that I have zero tolerance for.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisdude23 View Post
For a nurse, she sounded like an idiot.
You would be surprised. I think many nurses lose the ability to think for themselves on stuff, and they in my experience tend to be very mainstream. Not all of them of course, but many.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandi View Post
You would be surprised. I think many nurses lose the ability to think for themselves on stuff, and they in my experience tend to be very mainstream. Not all of them of course, but many.
Most of the nurses I work with have intact sons or would never dream of circing any possible future boys. As with anything we do in the health care field many times we do it b/c that is what we have always done. Often times we don't question it. I will give an example. PP pitocin. It helps prevent bleeding in many cases but it is not necessary in all cases. If a woman has an IV site she gets pp pit regardless of her risks just b/c that is what has alway been done. The other thing that comes to mind is making a woman starve after a c-section. It has been shown to improve healing time to allow women to eat as soon after the c-section as she feels ready with encouragement to take it easy. There are nurses who still tell pts not to eat until they are passing gas b/c that is what has always been done. If you stay current in all this stuff then you can do your best to advocate for your pts and ask the doc to order things the way you feel would benefit your pt the most. Mostly it is the old school nurses that feel they have to hold on to the way thing used to be. We just count down the days until they retire and teach the young blood everything we know. It would help if we could always remember this and when it is us nearing retirement we don't refuse to see things for what they ARE and not try to keep things how they used to be.
Sorry a nurse soap box.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
for many people circ is the default.. so while we know that by not circing we are leaving things as it, the natural and default choice many people think that circ is the default. the only choice... and not circing is a parents choice... but that there is no reason not to circ,... its just a personal thing.. like cutting your hair or something.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Momongeon, I brought the issue up on a well known nurse message board. The ignorance there was astounding. Many people think the AID's studies were legitimate, and they won't look at it for themselves, or consider the history of circ. I got incredibly frustrated trying to speak to my fellow nurses about it on that board. I think nurses get desensitized to so many medical procedures, and are therefore maybe more comfortable with it. Personally when I was in L&D clinicals it made me dizzy and sick to think they were being done on that floor. Also I had a (EMT) friend online that I tried to convince her not to circ...she would not listen to reason at all. Anyway, being a nurse does not automatically equal being incredibly smart or able to think critically, in my opinion. There's smart ones and dumb ones, like all the rest of the population.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandi View Post
There's smart ones and dumb ones, like all the rest of the population.
You got that right. I find the nurses that are more likely to circ are the ones that work or have worked in a nursing home and/or a med surg floor. They think that every intact penis is defective b/c they saw one horrible case of infection or something like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.