Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you rinse out your SWW after every pee? I usually dont, just let them air dry, but I get that baby-pee smell. Just rinsing doesnt even do the trick, I have to use a little soap. If I rinse/wash them well (or machine wash), it doesnt smell but it means Id have one less cover for a day while its drying. Is there something Im not doing or doing wrong thats keeping this pee smell around? Does everyone elses Bummis do this? Im not having any leaking.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
nak
i just wash mine in the washer with all the dipes. usually put it in after i do the first rinse. sometimes i dry it sometimes i just hang dry, but it is usually dry within a half hour if i hang dry.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I don't rinse mine. I'd guess I usually get 6-8 uses out of each cover before it holds onto an odor. When I notice that I toss it in the diaper pail and wash with all the other diapers on hot.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I wipe my between uses and wash after naps or messy

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I don't. They get used a few times and I do the sniff test (once dry again) and if they smell like urine they go into the diaper pail.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibusymomto5
I don't rinse mine. I'd guess I usually get 6-8 uses out of each cover before it holds onto an odor. When I notice that I toss it in the diaper pail and wash with all the other diapers on hot.
:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
No, we use one for a whole day unless it gets saturated or pooey.

No rinsing, it just goes in with the rest of the wash after a day.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I don't do anything - just keep re-using it until I feel it's been too long (or poopie) then I toss it in the wash with the diapers. Occassionally, if I'm feeling motivated, I wipe it down w/a diaper wipe before using it again.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So Im not the only one with possibly pee-smelling baby or diaper bag?
I do machine wash mine about every other time I do diapers, but I only wash 2 or 3x a week, so I cant be sans cover for too long (due to an unfortunate traveling mishap, Ive lost a few
). Ive found that hanging them to dry takes a couple of hours though! If Im handwashing usually have to do it at night when DD is in her nighttime diaper setup, and I have the Bummis all over the apt drying. In the morning, there is usually still some dampness. We have central air and my skin is pretty dry so I dont know whats up with that!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Do you have a dryer in your apt? I throw mine in the dryer on the air dry setting for 65 min and that does the trick.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
I don't do anything - just keep re-using it until I feel it's been too long (or poopie) then I toss it in the wash with the diapers. Occassionally, if I'm feeling motivated, I wipe it down w/a diaper wipe before using it again.
me too.... and never had a smell...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
For all of those putting their covers in the pail... do you keep a wet pail or dry?... I have a wet pail and at the Bummis store (and in their instruction sheet) they always tell me to never soak the covers.... So I just put them on top of the pail...
Do you soak?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I keep a dry pail. I've read that wet pails break down the fibers of the diapers faster, so they won't last as long. I just rinse poop off with the mini-shower, squeeze out the excess water, and throw them in.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Like a lot of you have said already, we don't wash after every pee. I'll leave the same cover on and just change the prefold every hour or so. If he poops, the cover usually comes right off and gets washed in the machine (if necessary), or if the PF is completely soaked. Usually we can get away with 2 covers a day - then they both get washed at night while he's in his nighttime set-up (fuzzibunz) and we start all over again in the morning!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
No, I put it on the drying rack to air out. Whenever I do any kind of laundry at all I thorw the covers that are on the airing rack in that wash load. so my covers do get washed pretty often.

If the cover gets saturated with pee, hten I do just throw it in the laundry and woulnd't use it again.

I like my Mother-ease AirFlows better because they don't get saturated the way BSWW can. The MEAF are not wraps though.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heh, I have more than one cover, some bummis some wool.
Im wondering if my nose is just super sensitive. I asked DH about this issue last night and he said, with a puzzled look "They smell??? Like what?" Sigh....
The only dryer I can use costs a dollar so id rather not. It seems that the best bet for me is to hand wash every so often and air dry and then machine wash with my dipes when I get a chance. Its just awkward having to ration the Bummis or the pockets or whatever else I need to be using, only to have forgotten to tell DH or whomever is around and have them use the wrong get-up on DD!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts