Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of setting up next to dh at art festivals with my knits. Do any of you sell your knits? How do you price? What do you sell mostly? Do knitted items sale? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Check out etsy.com and see what's selling there and how it's priced. Then, come up with an idea of your own (please don't take anyone's ideas from Etsy) and there you go.
Small items would probably be best at a craft fair, as ppl will be more likely to buy inexpensive things.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't sell any knitted things, though sometimes I use them as free give-a-ways at my site. I know at some craftshows I've done there have been some people with knitted things. Mostly though it's older women with big blankets. They don't tend to sell well, I don't think - maybe people are buying when I'm not looking? But also they look sort of dated in style. I've wondered whether knitted toys or childrens clothing would sell better... I think they would. But I think you'd really have to look at your time involved and make sure you could charge an amount to be adequately compensated. I think it sounds good though! Good luck!

·
Registered
764 Posts
i price items based on materials cost + (hourly wage * hours used).

i sell my items primarily in boutiques in NYC, so it's higher priced market than a craft show. my toys do really well there, people consider them "shower gift" items, not something you buy in a toy store - the animals run from $60-100.

Same for clothing - i sell more newborn items than toddler clothing - more people are willing to buy $100-$200 clothing items as gifts than for their 5 year old to use in the playground.

When I've sold things at craft shows i generally need to lower my prices and count on selling only small, basic items. I have to say that knitting is such a craze right now that i get more "oh, i can make that" comments than "oh, i really like that."

i find doing the shows to be a lot of fun, though, and i'm willing to take a hit on the price because i enjoy doing them. there i sell more small pocket toys (dolls, snakes, frogs, beanbags) leg warmers, dishtowels, etc. i've found at the shows i've been to that people aren't spending more than $50 for an item at a show.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I knit a lot as raffle prizes, and based on the interest I see (I can generally count on a newborn bootee/sweater set being one of the first five items picked) I think there'd be interest. The stuff that I see selling most over here, however, are the companies like www.aravorebabies.com and www.susumama.co.uk- you need either a FT label or something similar to act as a gimmick and to break the "I could do that" mentality. Which would, of course, be easy enough to do if you knitted with organic wool or stuff you bought from HPY.
The exception... (and check out their prices. I can't believe they sell. )

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Forgot to say: think about your packaging. At least 25% of your production costs should go on packaging. Beautiful tissue paper, velvet ribbons, raffia and flowers, whatever floats your boat. It's got to be REALLY good though...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
... break the "I could do that" mentality. Which would, of course, be easy enough to do if you knitted with organic wool or stuff you bought from HPY.
i use 99% organic and hand dyed yarns. i find that many people aren't really aware of the increased materials costs when you're in a fair environment. in the stores, it makes a big difference, though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
not sure about knitting, but i sell my art at a couple of fairs a year, and for me, taking credit cards has been huge. people think nothing of spending $3-$500 dollars on art as long as they can charge it.

i don't sell my knitting b/c i'm so slow and detail oriented. the time i have into a pair of socks would make them prohibitively expensive. just make sure you price fairly to yourself!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'd love to sell stuff, but all of the associated things that would need doing smack of actual work, and I'm work-averse.

Besides, publishers keep coming to ME and discussing publication of patterns, which is backwards, you're supposed to have to go beg to them. So I'll just stick with that.

Now if only fiction publishers would come begging for my writing...*sigh*...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marnie View Post
i sell my items primarily in boutiques in NYC, so it's higher priced market than a craft show. my toys do really well there, people consider them "shower gift" items, not something you buy in a toy store - the animals run from $60-100.

Same for clothing - i sell more newborn items than toddler clothing - more people are willing to buy $100-$200 clothing items as gifts than for their 5 year old to use in the playground.
Do you have some examples of the animals and newborn items that you knit and sell? TIA!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Marnie, your items and your baby are adorable! I especially love the ivy bear. Wonderful shaping. Good job!

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Marnie, those things are absolutely amazing! How long have you been knitting? I can definitely see why your htings sell so well!

·
Registered
764 Posts
thanks! i haven't been knitting that long - about 5 years. but i took to it immediately like a fish to water - it just fell into place so naturally for me, especially the animals and other sculptural things.

i really can't imagine life without knitting, now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.