Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd (3 in March) used to be really good about playing alone a few times during the day. Lately, she's really into imaginary games and they always involve me.<br><br>
I was wondering for those of you who have kids that don't play well alone, do you set aside times during the day to play with your kids? If dd had her way she would want me to play all day long, but I just can't do that.<br><br>
I do involve her in most of my household chores but sometimes need to make phone calls, and just plain have some down time!!<br><br>
Dd is an only child right now, so I am her only playmate...

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
WHen I had an only I tried to. I was a single mom, so it didn't always happen, but I did include him in cooking and cleaning, etc.<br><br>
Now that I have 3, they play together all day. SOmetimes I feel guilty that I don't play with them, but I do give them a lot of other attention.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
With one, I was more hands-on more of the time because if I wasn't, then who was? I got my down time during DS nap, or when DH got home I made dinner (which I actually considered down time - how sad is that!) or after DS was in bed (when he was older and not in our bed.)<br><br>
Now with two, I am slightly less hands-on because they play together occassionally without adult interaction. However, I technically have a lot less down-time, because it is rare they are both napping at the same time, there are two of them and more to do.<br><br>
Yet I am happier now, even though I have less "me" time. I think with the 1st child, you can often desire to still have a piece of your own life, kwim? After the 2nd, you are just so busy you give up on any free time. And when you truely give up on trying to get it, it is a lot easier on yourself. Instead of thinking "I really want to read this magazine, talk to so-and-so, finish xyz..." I don't really think about it. And on the rare occassion that I do get the block of time, I think, "Wow, great, now I can read this magazine article, talk to so-and-so...." I makes a world of difference.<br><br>
And if I really, really haven't had any down time in a few days, and am getting frustrated and snappy, when DH comes home I say "I NEED xyz minutes. You MUST take DS and DD and do XYZ with them."

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks AllisonR, you're not the first person that has said that they basically gave up on the idea of carving out some free time once they had two kids. I'm glad to hear that even though you have two you feel happier...<br><br>
I appreciate your post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts