Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. I went today and I am 25 wks and it felt funny. I felt like the baby was being pushed up or something, maybe it is just because the baby is getting bigger.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Not pregnant now...but I've been there twice, and I have to say that swimming was my absolute favorite physical activity while pregnant. I saw laps while I was pg with both of my sons until I was just too big to do a flip-turn, and then I would just play in the pool in my 8th and 9th months. I loved that feeling of being weightless!
I told dh that getting out of the pool when you're 9 mo pregnant you feel like a flippin' astronaut returning back to Earth's gravity. Ugh!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I taught water aerobics all through pg 1, but this time I'm not teaching and have not got in the water as much. I taught right up until a few days before I had dc. It felt great to be in the water.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've been swimming several times this pregnancy and I love it. It just feels really great for me, and I'm not a swimmer.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have been loving the water since I got preggo! I think it's supposed to be one of the best ways to exercise since it take gravity off your belly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've been loving it too - only about 4 months along but it already feels great. I swim almost every day, it's about the only exercise I can handle right now.

I definitely hate getting out though - I feel like a beached whale! I'm afraid when I get bigger I won't even be able to climb the ladder! LOL!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
With my 1st I swam daily from 3 months all the way up until the day before dd came. It was the most wonderful experience....complete weightlessness, ease of all aches and cramps, and it kept me healthy. I plan to do the same this time around, for my own sanity.

It probably feels funky because it's new. Give it time. Before long you'll probably yearn for the relief of it.

fwiw, the best stroke I found for a big round belly was definitely the breast stroke. All other strokes were very awkward and made me feel off-balance. A kickboard might help balance you too.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Swimming makes me feel funny too. I mean, I LOVE it, it cools me off and makes my belly feel lighter and feels delightful, but the baby always reacts funny and flips around and gets into weird positions afterwards. It's usually head down and after I swim it feels like it goes transverse or something. It's always ended up head down again and feeling "normal" eventually...

I KNOW swimming is great exercise for pregnant mamas, though! I am torn about it.
I did talk to my MW about it and she said it was fine and the baby would not flip unless I was doing handstands or other inversions underwater...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would also guess that it is because your baby is getting bigger -- and probably affecting your ability to take a good breath. I know that's what happened/is happening to me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm 36 weeks, and what I love most about swimming is how easy it becomes to learn how to relax my muscles. My husband loves this too because we can both feel the baby so much easier when my abs aren't in their normal semi-hard state. We've been learning about deep relaxation in our birthing class (Bradley) and I really feel that swimming/being weightless has taught me just how soft and relaxed my abs can be if I concentrate. All my swimming has been done in the lake, and the waves haven't seemed to cause any unusual movements in the baby.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am also 25 weeks, and swimming is great for me. I am enjoying it more than walking which just makes everything ache by the end.... but I haven't noticed any funny feelings...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Oh I miss preggo swimming. With ds I did water aerobics until two days before he was born. *sigh* this time I am working full time and can't go swimming. Have only been once on the weekend just to play. *sob*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts