Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through the notmilk.com site and Marilu Henner's books and from those resources (as well as a host of veg sites, etc.), dairy sounds like it always launches a mucus and inflammatory response in the body.

But then, there are others who say 'no, dairy isn't bad for you' and I wonder if those folk are experiencing increased mucus but don't recognize it as such? Or other health problems associated with dairy consumption?

Sorry this is random thought-like. Just something I've wondered about over the years. I've done my share of body cleanses and gone dairy free for years and for me, dairy is a horrible substance in my body. I'm also type A blood and that is supposed to be the worst blood type for dairy consumption.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
In a word, YES!!!!!!!!!!

But maybe it's worse for people like me who have allergies and sinus problems? I don't know if it affects all people the same way, but for me dairy is bad. And I love cheese!!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
My husband sure thinks so. He was a really big milk drinker (for body building). He always had really severe sinus problems. I don't remember him ever not having sunus problems. Then we went vegan. All of his sinus problems disapeared. (We were vegetarian before vegan).

I am newly pregnant and a few days ago I was craving grilled cheese and a shake REALLY BAD. So we went and got it, dh had a sundae. He almost instantaneously got a really bad runny nose. He is still recovering. He was like, "Do NOT let me eat any more dairy!"

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding.

My first post wasn't very clear, imo. I meant that when I read the NT, Mercola, etc work then I read that dairy isn't offensive to the body. So I am confused.

It seems to me that either dairy is offensive or it isn't. I am horrified when I read through the notmilk.com site and it makes sense to me. But then there are all these people who are consuming dairy without problems, yes?
:

Every person I've ever known irl or seen photos of virtually, who's gone dairy free looks the same: clear skin, clear eyes, no puffy face, no sinusitis. I mean every time. So that's when I think dairy is really troublesome for the body.

·
Registered
414 Posts
the other day i had a chocolate milk and then about 15 minutes later experienced a mucous invasion in my throat - gross! though i generally have an okay time eating ice cream and yogurt . . . .

i definitely think there is an association with dairy and mucous, but that it can affect you differently depending on what else your body is dealing with at the time. several friends of mine have recently gone dairy free and they are as you said - clear skin, no nasal/sinus problems, and happy!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
From what I have read, yes, it is a mucus builder. But, like callmemama said, it affects people differently. I have alot less mucus if I go light on the dairy. But it doesn't get so bad that I feel I shouldn't eat small amounts. I hate cutting out food groups!!!

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by playdoh
Thank you for responding.

My first post wasn't very clear, imo. I meant that when I read the NT, Mercola, etc work then I read that dairy isn't offensive to the body. So I am confused.

There are two kinds of dairy raw and pasteurized. They are completely different. NT (not sure about Mercola) is really talking about raw milk and products, the no milk camp are taking about pasteurized dairy.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that is correct (about Mercola and NT). Not everyone I know irl who follows either of those regimes consumes only raw dairy, though.

The notmilk.com site says that any perceived difference between raw and pasturized dairy is absolutely false. Most veg/vegan advocates that I've read about do not endorse any dairy consumption, raw or pasturized.

all very interesting stories, everyone. Thank you!! Still working through my opinions on this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know that it produces mucuos in my dd. We went through a rough 4 months when she was about a year old. I had been exclusively bf'ing her, then switched her over to organic milk during the day when she was about 13 months old. She had recurrent ear infections. After four rounds of antibiotics I went to see a EENT. The first thing he said was to try to take her off all dairy and see if it helps. This is 4 months later, and she has not had an ear infection since (knock wood) So, I am a believer.

This means that I too am off dairy, but it is worth it. They say that some kids outgrow this problem/allergic response about 2 years old. But, we are doing quite well without it.

On another note- I have adult acne that went away during pregnancy and returned recently. Has not cleared up at all.

Margie

·
Registered
994 Posts
equinurse,
My acne cleared up when I stopped the dairy, but dh's only cleared up when he gave up wheat. Just a thought.

Also, my son had bad colic until I did an elimination diet and found out it was the dairy. He has the same sinus problems as my husband.

Could some people be affected by the mucus, but in a different way, like diarreah?(sp?) This is how my dd's and I are affected by dairy
: (sorry to be gross).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I am completely intolerant of pasteurized dairy. I get an allergic mucousy reaction. But I seem to tolerate raw cow butter and cheese just fine and am currently testing my tolerance to raw goat yogurt. However, I have heard of people reacting even to raw dairy, sometimes because of the feed that the animal is getting (if they are not on pasture all the time) and sometimes because they are just not tolerant of animal milk proteins at all. I think it just depends on the person and what they can tolerate, but in general the raw milk works better than the pasteurized.

Here is a snippet from Donna Gates/Body Ecology Diet:
"Unfermented and improperly combined dairy products can lead to even more dampness and excess mucus." on this page:
http://bodyecologydiet.com/newkefirpage.html
She is a big fan of using raw butter for healing the gut lining. She talks about mucus in her Body Ecology book but I can't remember exactly what it said. Something about not all mucus is bad, and that it can be protective.

There are a quite a few good books on the Soil and Health free online library, but one that jumps to mind about the health benefits of raw pastured milk is called "Man vs. Toothache" by Dr. George W. Herd.
http://soilandhealth.org/02/0203CAT/...itylibcat.html
"The heart-felt, passionate testimony of Dr. Herd, a dentist, who discovered the principles to restore his own vibrant health through obedience to natural law, discovered towns in west Texas where there were no dental problems and discovered why, even though most of those with the best teeth hardly ever considered using a toothbrush. His evidence is much in support of the work of Francis Pottenger and Weston Price.Downloads as a single PDF of 740 kb. OUT OF PRINT"

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
my ds is off dairy now, & is drowning in phlegm (they caught summer colds, but even so, his allergies leave him pretty sniffy.) as far as i can tell i don't see much of a difference.

personally, i can tell the difference between say, drinking a big glass of milk (blech!) or a shake, & cheese or kefir or butter or whatever. cultured products don't give me any issues.

suse

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Within about 2 minutes of eating dairy I start almost drowning in phlegm and my sinuses start aching. My dh does the same thing, but he also has stomach problems with dairy. We both gave it up a long time ago, but in the last couple weeks I've had the occasional bit of cheese when I thought it might help my morning sickness (it didn't) and I felt SO bad after.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Yes, absolutely!

Milk products aren't designed for adults of any species. They're "ok" once in a while, but NOT on a regular basis. The ability to digest lactose (and dairy protiens as well) leaves naturally around the same time weaning naturally happens (6-8 or so).

Milk will even cause problems (gut, mucus, infections, etc) in adult animals of other species when given (think about what happens to cats :LOL).

We chose to go vegan, we debated a raw milk diet, but I lived that way for a few years growing up and had the same problems. Dairy is dairy no matter how you cut it.

It's also mainly cultural. Most world-cultures (not western) do NOT naturally rely on dairy for a big (or even any) part of their diet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If we're trying to reduce daughter's mucous (chronic sinus infection), is it enough to cut out milk and cheese, or do we also need to kick the yogurt habit? I ikeep thinking the benefits of yogurt must outweigh any negatives....

Martina in Tx

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Dairy=Mucus
I went vegetarian at age 15 and lived with grandparents that fed me copious amounts of dairy to make up for the lack of corpse in my diet. A year later I ended up getting my tonsils out because of a years worth of chronic tonsillitis. No one thought to examine my diet. I went vegan 3 years later and never had throat problems that weren't viral again.
I still have sinus problems (my main pregnancy complaint for some reason) but that's probably because I shouldn't eat so much wheat. Too bad i'm a lazy cook

BTW I also read recently that a lot of childhood bedwetting can be caused by food intolerancs/allergy; and now I think thats why I wet the bed for a very looong time...
:

I am definitely anti cow teat.
Human teats for humans!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
dairy deffinitely leads to mucus. when i don't eat dairy, i have no mucus. milk is the main culprite for me though. cheese and yogurt don't cause too much trouble. i have found DD1 to be the same way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts