Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know with newborns they need to nurse for more then 10 min to get the hindmilk, is that the case for older babies? Zane is almost 9 months, I thought he would be efficient enought to get the hindmilk in less time then that by now, is that true?

I ask cause Zane only nurses for about 5ish minutes on one side usually, and he eats 1 time every 3 hrs. Do you think he's getting enough??

·
Registered
13,152 Posts
Babies that age can be very efficient nursers, and if you have a large storage capacity and quick delivery, it is possible he is getting enough to eat in 5 mins, 8x/day. Is he happy, healthy, filled out, active? Does he poop every day to once every several days and is it copious when he goes? Is his urine clear? Is he eating table foods?

Ask him: "Zane, are you getting enough milk?"

·
Registered
704 Posts
My son has never been a long eater even when he was a newborn. 2-7 minutes. Maybe just let him stay on one side each time. My son is 5 months and 20 lbs so I know he is getting enough milk. My daughters weren't even 20 lbs when they were 1 and they ate forever. I think you just have to pay attention to growth for your child and the rest the others mentioned. You would notice if he looks unhealthy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.