Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...roast garlic in the crockpot?

I have four (count 'em, four) big heads of garlic from last week and this week's CSA boxes, and although I love having good fresh garlic on hand, this is a bit much. It's waaay too hot here to turn on the oven. I know you can bake potatoes in a crockpot, so I was thinking I'd peel the garlic, drizzle with EVOO, and wrap in aluminum foil, and pop it in the crockpot. Whaddya think?

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
I'm sure it would work. Let us know how it turns out!

And I hear you about it being too hot to turn on the oven. I had to use mine to make a birthday cake this morning and now it's way too warm in my kitchen to make myself any breakfast.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yup. Drizzle them with oil, sprinkle on any herbs/spices you want, and just make sure the foil packets are well-sealed. Takes about 5 hours on low. Yum!

BTW, I got the idea myself from this book. I borrowed it from the library but love it so much that I'm going to buy a copy for myself. One of the best cookbooks I've ever used!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, thanks everybody for the encouragement and advice. I did this today and it sure worked out great! The garlic is lovely and roasty and sweet and squishy, and the crockpot doesn't even need to be cleaned, thanks to my little foil packets, and the kitchen is -- well, it's still swelteringly hot, but it's no hotter for having roasted the garlic, at least, like it woulda been had I used the oven. So, next time you want to roast garlic the easy-peasy way, break out your slow cooker.

Wabi Sabi, that book looks super -- I added it to my wishlist.
Thanks!

Jessica, totally OT, but where are you? I'm in Rochester.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
What a great idea! Maybe I do need a crockpot after all!

I think I would also take a page from Alton Brown and plug it into an outdoor socket on the deck - and keep the heat outside.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
Wabi Sabi, that book looks super -- I added it to my wishlist.
Thanks!
I found it at the public library but have already decided that it is WELL worth the $11 to just buy it on Amazon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts