Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Well, I recently went to the dentist and found out I have about 4 cavities to be filled...I have been using the spry toothpaste with xylitol. I stopped using fluoride toothpaste when I was pregnant and have not used it since I am still breastfeeding (though just a little). Anyway I prefer to keep using the spry toothpaste, but do I need fluoride to help prevent cavities? Does the xylitol do enough to prevent them? I appreciate any advice!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't believe that fluoride prevents cavities. I think cavities are linked to nutrition. I haven't used fluoride in several years now. I avoid all fluoride. I have 8 old cavities that I got when I was a kid, but no new cavities in my adult life.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Are these the first cavities you've ever had? Or are you prone to cavities? In my personal experience, genetics play a large part in cavities and tooth decay. I'm 35 and I've never had one, but I floss daily and brush once/day with Tom's of Maine flouride paste. Dh does the same and he gets a cavity once in a while, and has had a couple of years that he's had several. We both follow a relatively healthy vegan diet, but drink a fair amount of coffee. My mom and sister have not had cavities either. They're both ominivores.

So, if you are prone to cavities, you might just be prone to cavities. If these are your first, I would try to find the cause.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
I do use fluoride. I agree that cavities and enamel strength can have a lot to do with genetics. I have my mom's weak enamel, I also have my dd use fluoride toothpaste. Nutrition can play a part as well but I don't believe it has a single cause.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
We have been fluoride free for 2 years. We havent had any new cavities in that time. I have bad genes as my mom and dad have both had all their teeth removed. I didnt have good nutrition as a kid and had bad teeth then but since I have been eating healthy and off of steroids my teeth have been pretty good. My dentist was quite impressed since I have been nursing for 2 years.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We have not used flouride toothpaste for several years. At the same time, I switched our diet to pastured meat and dairy and mostly organic fruits and veggies. I don't have definitive proof but I think it has a lot to do with the health of our teeth. DH and I both have mouths full of fillings but have not had a problems since our switch to a healthier, more sustainable diet.

·
Registered
985 Posts
NO fluoride here!!! I am probably older than most here. When I was very little my mom was instructed to give us fluoride tablets. I found the bottle one day and downed half of it. I have had terrible dental probs as an adult...my nutrition was terrible up until I had my last child at 39. Anecdotal, as I am only one example, BUT I am a good example of what little good fluoride really does! I think if you consume organic produce you are probably consuming just the right amt of fluoride

·
Registered
460 Posts
NO NO NO to flouride.

I agree with what opthers have said, cavities have more to do with nutrition than anything else. Also, it could be the way your teeth are shaped. I have very deep crevices on my teeth that a toothbrush can't reach. It has resulted in cavities in the past. But in 15 years I have been flouride and cavity free.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No flouride here, either. I bought the kids and I flouride-free toothpaste, and the last time I went to the dentist I had two cavities. HOWEVER, that was probably due to the fact that I'm not good about flossing regularly and hadn't been to the dentist in 6 years!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
No Way!! It doesn't prevent cavaties and it's poison. A no brainer really

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
We use it. I believe it's necessary for preventing cavities. Several things cause cavities. You could be genetically prone to them. Certain medications make you more susceptable, It could the food you eat - acidic, including fruits. It doesn't mean only junk food. But regular brushing should prevent that (wait an hour after having something acidic, as it weakens enamel.) Or you could be getting the bacteria from other people. If your husband has a cavity that needs to be filled, and you kiss him or share spoons with him, you get his bacteria. The more you get the more likely you could be to get cavities. (be especially careful not to share spoons with your children) And once you get a cavity, chewing gum, etc, can spread that bacteria around more, within your mouth.

Flouride is your best line of defence against cavities. And as long as you don't swallow it you'll avoid most of it's negative affects. Yes it's poison. But the good outweighs the bad, in my opinion.

(sidenote - my sister is a CDA, she told me a story about the flouride rinse. You are suposed to rinse and spit. One patient actually swallowed it and no one noticed (how do you not notice the signs?!) and the girl went home and actually died only a few hours later.
So I'm not being naive. I know how toxic the stuff is. But just, don't swallow it.)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
We use it. I believe it's necessary for preventing cavities. Several things cause cavities. You could be genetically prone to them. Certain medications make you more susceptable, It could the food you eat - acidic, including fruits. It doesn't mean only junk food. But regular brushing should prevent that (wait an hour after having something acidic, as it weakens enamel.) Or you could be getting the bacteria from other people. If your husband has a cavity that needs to be filled, and you kiss him or share spoons with him, you get his bacteria. The more you get the more likely you could be to get cavities. (be especially careful not to share spoons with your children) And once you get a cavity, chewing gum, etc, can spread that bacteria around more, within your mouth.

Flouride is your best line of defence against cavities. And as long as you don't swallow it you'll avoid most of it's negative affects. Yes it's poison. But the good outweighs the bad, in my opinion.

(sidenote - my sister is a CDA, she told me a story about the flouride rinse. You are suposed to rinse and spit. One patient actually swallowed it and no one noticed (how do you not notice the signs?!) and the girl went home and actually died only a few hours later.
So I'm not being naive. I know how toxic the stuff is. But just, don't swallow it.)
I respectfully disagree! I do not think it is the best way to prevent cavaties and there is research out there about both the toxicity of flouride (which is still being absorbed into the body when you brush your teeth), and about the fact that flouride actually increases your risk of dental disease. It is thought that flouride toothpaste prevents cavaties by promoting the remineralization process. This can be done without the harmful effects of flouride. JMHO

http://www.eco-dent.com/Remin%20screen.pdf
http://www.dentist.net/novamin-toothpaste.asp

some helpful tips
http://www.ehow.com/how_2079251_prev...-fluoride.html

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
A couple issues I have with those links
The ehow one:
You shouldn't brush or floss immediately after eating anything acidic. The acid has weakened the tooth and the brushing wears it away. Wait at least an hour.
casien, My DS is alergic to it

Sugarless gum contains aspartame which has inumerable side effects. Plus, gum spreads around bacteria if you happen to already ahve a cavity.
Tea = awesome. No argument there.
Clean toothbrush. also awesome.

The eco dentist. I'm skeptical. It says "Clinically proven to give teeth and gums a healthier look and feel" It doesn't say they actually are healthy. Sounds like clever marketing. I'm not sold. The article is bias

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
A couple issues I have with those links
The ehow one:
You shouldn't brush or floss immediately after eating anything acidic. The acid has weakened the tooth and the brushing wears it away. Wait at least an hour.
casien, My DS is alergic to it

Sugarless gum contains aspartame which has inumerable side effects. Plus, gum spreads around bacteria if you happen to already ahve a cavity.
Tea = awesome. No argument there.
Clean toothbrush. also awesome.

The eco dentist. I'm skeptical. It says "Clinically proven to give teeth and gums a healthier look and feel" It doesn't say they actually are healthy. Sounds like clever marketing. I'm not sold. The article is bias

I agree with much of what you have said. My point was really not that these are the products to use, just that there are ways to prevent cavaties and remineralize teeth without using flouride. But if you are comfortable using it and you feel it works, more power to you. I was just posting for those out there that really want to try and avoid it

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
And I thank you for it because I hate it when people just follow like sheep and do whatever everyone else does. Like vaxing for example. I hear sooo many people say "well they wouldn't have them if they didn't work and weren't safe " uhhh yes they would! The drug companies make BILLIONS.
Sorry, a little OT. But I can see your point. THe remineralizing thing does make sense. I just don't know if that's teh best toothepaste for it. Are there more?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
We all use flouride toothpaste here. I agree that fluoride is poisonous in large doses. I avoid poisoning by not eating a tube of it every day. DD also uses it, at the government recommended dose (adult strength, pea-sized amount) and is closely supervised doing so. The toothpaste is kept out of reach in general, but i did eat quite a lot of it when i was a kid and i never managed to give myself fluorosis or even a single belly-ache.

·
Registered
565 Posts
No fluoride for us - we all have thyroid issues and fluoride is on the list of things we avoid. I have to wrestle w/ the dentist every time we go but I don't care. I've grown immune to their dirty looks and patronizing comments!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
oh man, this issue really gets to me on a lot of levels.

I read the book THE FLOURIDE DECEPTION (which I HIGHLY recommend). Its a great great book and gives the whole history behind water flouridation, flouride in toothpaste, etc. Its pretty scandalous.

I have never had great teeth. Prone to cavities. I am very aware of what's going on with my teeth because I have dental implants, numerous crowns, etc.

After reading the book, I switched to flouride free toothpaste. I am adamantly against my DC having any flouride. However, I noticed after about a month of using the flouride free toothpaste, I started developing a dark spot (near the crevice between two teeth). I brushed with with flouride toothpaste and it went away over the period of a few weeks. That experience kind of shook me a bit.

I think that flouride is toxic for sure, but it HAS been shown to reduce cavities by about 15% when applied topically. In my case, genetics and a crapload of expensive dental work that needs protecting (for example, a cavity for me could start a domino effect of work that needs done/replacing) make me lean toward flouride toothpaste for myself.

I know if I quit eating processed foods that would help a ton....but um, that's not going to happen.
We eat a lot of organic whole foods, but also bread, refined sugars, etc. Life happens!

XOXO
B

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.