Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a net to protect your seedlings in the garden from birds? I have a fear that after all this planting and watering and caring for my little seeds that when I actually get the chance to plant them in my garden...they will get pecked on by birds. Is this in my head? Or should I use a net to keep them away? Also which types of birds to I need to worry about?

what about copper to keep the slugs out? I read that copper actually shocks them and if you put it around plants/pots that it helps. I was thinking of getting some copper flashing and hammering it around my raised garden bed to help prevent them and snails.... What do you do??

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've used netting before but I am lazy and after I am done it just ends up in a messy ball!! What works for me is I save those green berry baskets & turn them upside down over seedlings. The birds can't get to them!

I've tried the copper tape stuff with no luck. BUT then I found out you need to put it on your pots and boxes so that the snail/slug's antenna (sp?) hit the copper -- that's what causes the shock! Anyway, I've had better luck w/ beer traps.

Loree

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't you have to change the beer out frequently? I heard slugs don't like stale beer
And where do you put it? bowl? plate? trough? :LOL

The net seems like such a pain...but if it works...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well I found that the beer (and slugs!) dried up during the heat of the day! So, yes, you do have to keep adding beer. Old flat beer is fine to use.

I use old cottage cheese or yogurt containers, cut down to about 1.5 inches. You need to make sure the slugs can make it over the lip and "fall in" and drown. Watch out if you have a dog -- they like beer too!

Loree

·
Registered
804 Posts
We have a ferocious-looking fake owl that I keep moving around the garden. Most times, he's perched on top of my corkscrew willow bean & pea teepee's. He looks *very* real! I haven't seen a varmint one (not even a bird) in our garden yet and its at the edge of a field. We have tons of gophers, California quail, mice, etc... I have also relocated a garter snake, a burrowing toad and some praying mantis's into our garden. I hope they stayed.

HOWEVER, something is eating our basil, oregano & sage. WTH??? I figured they were strong enough herbs that the bugs wouldn't bother with them. Flea beetles I think....

Lisa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts