Votes: 18 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 22.8%

Do You Vax Your Pets?

5K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  djt 
#1 ·
Interested in what I hear on this. Feel free to elaborate.

Jenny

#2 ·
no, we have 3 indoor-only cats. I haven't had to take them to the vet in years and I dread them getting older because most of the vets I've taken them to won't even see them without "catching them up" on vax while they are there for whatever reason I bring them in. My youngest cat was vaxed against my consent when he was taken to be neutered at the humane society. I just try to avoid vets.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowpansy View Post
Yes because they go outside and eat god knows what and the cat occasionally gets beat up and the dog sniffs butts and drinks from pond water and mucky ditch water (when he is off leash) and I want to protect them. If they were sequestered inside only, I might not.
yeah, i have the same questions as quarteralien.

our dog was fully vaxed when we got him at 2 years old, but he will not receive any more.

#13 ·
We "try" not to vax our outdoor cat.
He's been to the vet a few times (when we found him, neutering, etc.), and they wouldn't "give him back" without vaxing him so he has had some, but it's been a couple of years.
He's gotten pretty hurt a couple of times (other animals?), but he has healed amazingly quickly. I imagine he will get more vaxes if we ever need to bring him back to the vet.

#14 ·
We do selective vaccination with our dog. He gets the three year vaccine because it's the law here...you can hear my vet (we go to a holistic one) grumble as she does it. We get titres run for our dog (and they're stinkin' expensive) for the other vaccines, but in a couple years he'll be ten and we'll probably not do any more vax.

BTW, I'm new, I'm off to post my intro.

#15 ·
Oh yeah, we have to do some vaccines by law with our dog and then have to register him and cannot without the vaxes. He is such a spaz that I could just see him one day taking off and getting lost, getting caught by the dog catcher, and them charging me a hefty fine if he was not up to date. That is another reason we vax. I think that is just rabies.

#16 ·
I haven't vaxed my cats as of yet (mother and son, mom was spayed right after her kittens were born via c-section...long story
, but I will have to get them the rabies vaccine by law. I kind of try to stay out of the vet's office, number one because they tend to go way overboard on things and act like my cats are their animals and only out "on loan" to me (don't get me started on that attitude..it's insanity!), and number two because it's very pricey to have regular visits. I generally only go when they are sick or if they get hurt.

#18 ·
I chose other because while our cat and dog are vaxed, I am interested in learning more about animal vaxes, and especially with regards to the laws and not getting them vaxed further if possible, I realize some may be required by law for dogs and I don't know if there's any exemptions for those! The cat I had growing up was never vaxed and wandered everywhere and got into cat fights galore.....yet she was rarely sick and died at the age of 19 a few years ago. My pets I've had since then have had vaxes, though not reguarly, and they died much quicker....and were strictly indoor to boot!

#23 ·
Our cat & dog are vaccinated, mostly I keep that up to date because they both go to the kennel occasionally & it is required.

I also use the heartworm yearly jab for our dog, as sometimes I would forget to give her the tablet & then I would stress for ages that my dog had contracted heartworm from a mosquito bite.... better all around to have a yearly injection I reckon, in our situation anyway.

#26 ·
My cats are vax free and my dog was up to date for puppy classes. She had a vax reaction, but trust me, the dog needed those classes. I would only ever get her the rabies shot again b/c I don't want her automatically put down for not having it if she's a good dog and bites an intruder.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.