Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK at my dh's sort of family yesterday - difficult to explain but the closest family he has here. They all know I bf, so when someone else arrives with their 10month old who they ff, all the WOMEN there were saying to ds 'do you want the bottle?', 'come here and have a drink of the bottle?' etc it went on ALL DAY
: . I was livid. How disrespectful they were, it's not as if I go up to their children and expose my breast and ask if they want some num-nums, what gives them the right to do that? and women too, what happened to solidarity (sp?) between us women - then when dh asked what was wrong they said that I'd not been talking to them all day? I give up, really.

Just had to vent/commiserate alittle.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
That would be very annoying, and I think you have a valid point about not offering to nurse the neighborhood. Did you mention that to them? I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant day.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It's the FF guilt. They KNOW that FF is inferior, so they are trying to drag you down to their level.

Don't let it get to you

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Oh that's irritating!!! I would be so angry and frustrated, too. I can totally understand your feelings. I agree that it's probably a case of knowing that formula is substandard nutrition.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well knowing me I probably *would* have walked up to thier kid and offered my boob, saying 'don't you want some of the good stuff? C'mon, have a drink, its so much better for you!'

I'm sure that would have quieted them right now.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I'm with Becky. First time maybe let it slide, but second time, I'd've started offering. Every time after that, I'd've made the counter offer.
They'd've gotten the point quickly enough.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I vote for you offering your boob immediately after they offer your kid the bottle and then give them a "back off it already" look and then a candy sweet smile and change the subject.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Two things
First, I FF
3 of my babies and pp is right about the FF guilt. They've got it even if they don't want to admit it or even know that's what it is. I think they have a sense that they are missing something, but until they really experience it, they just don't know what they and their baby are missing. It saddens me to think about it after missing it with my first three.
Second, my ds calls it num nums, too

·
Registered
302 Posts
Did you say anything to them about it? The story sounds like you just sat and stewed. Sorry they were so rude.

Why do people feel they have any say in what I allow my kids to eat? My parents neighbors made it like I'm mean not giving my two year old suckers. Told told them that I don't want to have to scrape him off the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
: I would've been really mad and probably would've told them all to... well... stuff I should'nt really say here!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
my 11month old picked up her 3 week old cousin's bottle poked the nipple and asked "doob?" then shook her head and laughed. My sister in-law said "it's funny to think she's never had a bottle!" and I smirkled(being a x between a smile and a smirk).
When she later asked if I wanted to feed tthe baby it took me a moment... but if she'd done what your rellies did I would have whipped my bob out and stuck him on!
people are funny creatures

·
Registered
258 Posts
So sorry you had a rotten day. How rude of them!

Like the others said, I might have been tempted to offer my boob! Probably wouldn't have thought of it though, I always think of the good things to do when its too late.

Hugs to you!

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
That is very rude. Even though I FF, Olivia I would have never offered her bottle to anyone else. What if they had allergies or were sick? I would expect people not to do the same. Maybe you could politely say something like no thats fine, but she has her own bottle of EBM right here. Or sorry but you know I am breastfeeding. Hope it gets better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.