Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 and 3 year old are partially vaccinated and will not be anymore. 5 year old stopped at 2 and the 3 year old at 15 mos. My 1 year old has not received any. We homeschool and I haven't worried much about exposure to stuff "out in the world" because you can't live in a bubble. Next year we will be in a group one day a week where I will be with the 5 year old and the younger two would be in childcare for a few hours. I wouldn't say I'm worried, per say, but do you guys every give any thought to your kids not being vaccinated and being out and about, in school, etc. It's more viral shedding, kind of stuff I think about than anything I guess. All my kids eat lots of greens, fermented foods, take probiotics, vitamin D, we do bone broth, kefir water and milk and Cod Liver oil - oh, and ACV too, when I can get them to :) I am sure that with time this won't concern me, as there are TONS of non-vaccinated kids in schools who do just fine, if not better, than their peers health-wise. Just curious if you guys had any wise words to ease this newbie's mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
429 Posts
When I first made the decision to not vaccinate anymore, I had the same worries. I was also coming from a conventional medicine trained mindset where I was taught that all VPDs are going to kill your child. There is a lot of overcome there...

That was 10 years ago. We are born with immune systems for a reason. Your children sound like they are pretty equipped for any kind of illness, and honestly, if they are going to be exposed to anything, better to get it done and over with as children rather than adults. Some of the illnesses do have benefits to have as children besides better immunity to future exposure throughout their life.

In the meantime, take a deep breath and if something happens down the road, you will be able to handle it then.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My 2 have never had a single shot.. we started with play groups, park outings etc before school started. We also eat very similar to you and also have a few others things we do in addition...
Once school started, oh boy did they ever catch all sorts of stuff. The first year, my oldest was sick at least once a month from sept-march.. but nothing serious. I thought I was going to die with how many sleepless nights I had checking on him and his brother. My youngest is 3 years younger so he was exposed well before his school years-- he too got it all. Now, it has been 4 full years since my oldest has been in school-- this winter they both had only about 2 illnesses each- nothing serious and most recent- a mysterious rash although I'm convinced it was the sunscreen my MIL applied without my permission... Anyway, I did start making my own elderberry syrup this past year (with my own twist) and used c-salts and echinacea anytime I suspected something was going down.
For me, sickness was expected-even with good nutrition, plenty of sunshine and exercise.. young kids pick noses, share mouth toys, do not have good hygiene at school, cough without covering their mouth and so on. I'm hoping their immune system continues to get stronger each year. As far as shedding, so far, no experience with that.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have one (almost 13) fully vaxed til 15mos-ish, two (10 and almost 8) fully vax free. Oldest is vaccine-injured. I worry every day about vaccine shedding an infectious disease for all three of them.

Sorry i know that is no help, but if i were you five years ago, i think i would be my own five year plan.

This is just my individual opinion.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
My non-vaxxed children are 17 and 15, and frankly I have never worried about them getting sick, that's what their fully-functioning immune system is there for. Even as tiny babies, it didn't cross my mind, but I think I am in the minority!!!

I did worry about my non-vaxxed dog when he was a puppy because I wasn't nearly so familiar with canine diseases, but that proved to be groundless worrying.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have two unvaccinated dd's (3 years & 9 mos) that go to daycare at an in-home provider. They're not exposed to tons of kids like at a larger daycare, but hey've had their share of seemingly chronic runny-noses, especially this past winter, and I have never worried about other kids shedding nor have I worried about my two spreading VPD's. I use various combinations of herbal teas and other natural remedies (very similar to what the OP stated) to support our immune systems. As of yet, we've not run into any paperwork issues surrounding my dd's vaccination status. The paperwork I sign has a place to record the vaccination history, but what the statement that I sign just says something like, "To my knowledge the information is up to date and accurate, etc." So, not having a history is perfectly up to date and accurate! I know the OP didn't say anything specific about paperwork, but it's always been a little bit of a worry in the back of my mind!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts