Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and to what extent?

I did firecrackers and black cats and such for the 4th of July, didn't think about it twice.

Now, we hunt for our meat here, and dh and I can each only get one deer this year, we will need both to make it through the year. So I need to get mine.

I have to practice on the targets out back obviously. For most of it I can probably use the .22, which is just a tiny *pop*.

But dh tells me that I will need to put a minimum of 200 rounds through the 30-30, which is a really significant Boom (unless I'm wearing my ear protection obviously).

I know there is speculation within the shooting community about the noise (especially in indoor ranges) causing problems for the fetus, and so they recommend no shooting at all for pregnant women.

Would be fine except that if I don't shoot, we don't eat.

So I'm wondering if I should worry about it, or try to make some kind of belly "muffler" pillow type of thing...

What would you do?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could do that, but we could absolutely not afford the fine if we got caught letting him shoot two. Illegal you know.

The lead is a big worry when you are shooting at an indoor/enclosed range where it can't dissipate and be blown away. We do strictly outdoor, and I do wear long sleeves and a mask while pg, as well as putting all casings in a bucket of water so they can't lose any more dust.

I just don't know about the hearing damage issue. I wouldn't worry about the one shot to bring down a deer, but those 200+ practice rounds? I just don't know...

It's very reassuring to me about the rock concerts, do you know where you read that?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Now that the search feature is back up
, do a search on rock concerts and hearing in this forum. I know there was a poster whose DH was an audiologist and gave some really great info about it.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Any sounds that get to a wombling are extremely muffled. I wouldn't worry at all about the baby's hearing and it sounds like you're taking appropriate precautions with everything else.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
well i see that your in AR. and considering the fact that your hunting for you meals just like my momma used to do all the time (beef was like.....cavier...
) i am also assuming that you live out in the boonies a bit more too. hows your conservation dept? in MO (where i grew up) the conservation dept was great BUT they didn't/don't have enough manpower to patrol all the hundreds of acres of land that people will/would be hunting on. i think that you would be safe having "help" shooting the deer if you needed it.

of course i don't think the hearing is a problem at all. it is very muffled in there. i went to an air show with lots of loud planes when i pg with ds and it was for an entire day of screaming jets. i asked my dr about it afterword and she said there was no need to be worried. the thing they worry about is if its your JOB, your out there day in day out for a long period of time in a VERY high level of noise. although guns are loud they are just a split second of load even from a 30-30. i am sure that you won't do all 200 practice rounds all at once either.

either way i think you'll do fine. good luck hope you get a good tender deer.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah it's true that the dept. doesn't have a lot of manpower, but we do also happen to live out in the national forest wildlife management area-- the most popular hunting place for the traveling hunters, and also the most patrolled, at least during the opening days.

I guess if he just gets his opening weekend and I try a few weeks later that would work

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Why do you need to fire so many practice runs?

A few shots to learn how your rifle shoots is IMO all that is needed.

I dont target practice with my rifles or shotgun but yet I go out and get deer, turkeys, grouse, quail and pheasant.

Happy hunting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.