Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, how do you organize it? I'm feeling like I need to do this for my own sanity but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you just make lists of what you want to cover? Do you have a chart? If anyone has a sample they would be willing to share, I would love to see it. Since dd is only doing Kindergarten work, we aren't covering a lot of subjects, but I would like to get used to planning for next year.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I do have a weekly lesson plan, though I don't always stick to it. Its basically to keep my head straight. I try to plan what subjects we do, but not how much in each subject, if that makes any sense? Ds works at his own pace, and every time I have tried to put together an actual plan, he foils it by either having a rough day, where we don't do what was in the plan, or having a great day where we do 3 or 4 days worth.
But I'm a planner, so I like to have something, anyway.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I do a lot of to-do lists in my life to keep track of things. Like, we're moving soon, so I have my moving notebook. It's where I'm keeping track of what I need to get done, the progress I've made, information I've gotten, etc. Any phone call I make in regards to the move (like getting info on cat boarding, or rental cars), I'll record it in the notebook.

I have a homeschooling notebook too. I don't necessarily follow it, so much as use it as desired. I jot down ideas in there, and somes will make a to-do list for the week---just stuff I think we ought to get to in the week, or stuff that I think would simpy make for nice ideas. I have a master-list of ideas that I can pull from for my weekly list. But like I said, I don't follow it so much as use it. If we get some downtime, then I'll look to the notebook so see what was going through my head earlier that week. And then I'll see an idea that I like, and think it's a good time for, or I'll see ideas that I've already decided to scrap.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I have a template I follow. I think I have it on the forms page of my website.

I fill out field trips and special outings two month in advance and school work one month in advance. We have built in "make up time" in case we get behind.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
I have a template I follow. I think I have it on the forms page of my website.

I fill out field trips and special outings two month in advance and school work one month in advance. We have built in "make up time" in case we get behind.
WOW! You have a lot of info there. Thank you! Did you follow a plan for Kindergarten? DD is not really reading yet (she can sound out short words with short vowel sounds), so our main focus right now is learning to read since that is what she wants to do. We also do math daily (Horizons). But, I haven't really incorporated other subjects aside from reading to her from an Usborne science book, poetry and chapter books.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by belleandboo View Post
WOW! You have a lot of info there. Thank you! Did you follow a plan for Kindergarten? DD is not really reading yet (she can sound out short words with short vowel sounds), so our main focus right now is learning to read since that is what she wants to do. We also do math daily (Horizons). But, I haven't really incorporated other subjects aside from reading to her from an Usborne science book, poetry and chapter books.
You're welcome. No I didn't follow a plan for Kindie. DS2 tagged along with DS1 for the most part. He did have his own math. Since he is advanced in math we started math a year early.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I am backwards. We are loosely following oak meadow K's curriculum. What I do is at the end of the wk, I write a list (in one of those teacher planning books) of what we covered. I guess it's more for my own benefit, but I'm always surprised how much more stuff we covered than I thought we did.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
I usually do, but I've been lazy lately. I have a notebook, and I write out our goals for each subject for the week as well as books to get from the library, projects, etc. Then every day I write down what we actually did to keep track. Sometimes I forget that, too, though.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am also new to K HSing this year. I have been using a form where I put the days of the week across the top and the "subjects" down the left side, and then you can just fill in the blocks. I am doing a pretty relaxed Oak Meadow curriculum, so for subjects I have things like "Circle Time" (verses, etc.) and Outings, along with some of the more traditional things.

Of course, I often veer significantly from this, but it helps me to figure out what I need to have on hand ahead of time. I use a planner, and every day I write down what we actually did do.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sort of...

With three kids I am finding I need to either put them all on workbooks (which I won't do) or do a lot of stuff together.

I make notes during the week or stuff I saw or read about. I never try to do something new the week I find it. I like to let it stew in my head for a few days. Plus, I always have a list from last week.

We attend a public center 4 days a week for some classes and then we hang around and do some "schoolish" stuff there.

My children each have a few workbooks for Math and English.

Monday through friday I just try to accomplish one subject per day. I pull from my ideas and anything they are working on in workbooks. They do Science at school, so I don't cover that. some days Math just doesn't work so we do History instead or do something they want to do or go for a nature walk. We are pretty relaxed. I've tried so many things and we always end up back here. Plus, I'm usually have classes myself (I've taken this quarter off).

I won't write down that my 7 year old needs to accomplish 2 pages a day in Explode the Code because he will often do 4 pages one day and none for a few days and then 4 again. I just try to do some type of phonics/reading practice every day. Since, I've stopped forcing reading practice/phonics he has been doing much better because he enjoys it!

I used to log our week at the end of the week or day and I do like that approach. This year I'm taking pictures and keeping workbook pages and artwork, so at the end of the year I can make a book and have it comb binded for this year. The boys will each make a nice cover and that will be our proof for the year.

Was that any help?

·
Registered
623 Posts
We do one every week. Things go a lot more smoothly when it's laid out for us, and it keeps things so stress-free because we can gather up/find anything we are going to need. Mine's an Excel spreadsheet that has subjects down the side and days across the top. We do K, so if you are curious about ours, just let me know and I can send it to you

albc

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
i follow a scope and sequence: http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/lesson_titles.htm

it gives me an idea of what i can teach each month. it's been wonderful for me. they also have free bcp lessons that go with this s&s: http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/draft_lessons.html (scroll to grade k).

i use those lessons frequently, but sometimes i change them out with other free ck lessons: http://www.coreknowledge.org/CK/resrcs/lessons/K.htm

this month, i didn't like the bcp social studies lessons, so i changed them out with another ck unit. anyway, this is what my dd and i do and we really love it.

i use saxon for math and happy phonics & MCP K for phonics.

i also have a weekly k schedule which breaks down what subjects i want to cover each day. i can email you a doc. if wanted.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, thanks for all of the info and suggestions! I searched for a chart that I like, but didn't find anything exactly how I want it, so I made my own in MS Word. I have a block chart for "school" and then the page opposite is my own personal planner with a "to do list" and meal ideas. I don't think we'll follow the plan exactly...it more of an idea of what I would like to accomplish each week.

I would still love to see how others keep their days/weeks organized, though. I printed the pages, but have yet to fill them out.
I'll PM those of you who offered to share examples...thanks!

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
I have a binder that our schedule is in. Each week has a numbered divider page. Within each weekly section, I have the schedule for that week and any papers related to that week- art project ideas, etc.

The schedule sheet that I created is a simple grid that has Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, and Day 5 across the top. Down the side I have the subjects we cover each week (Reader, Read Aloud, Science/Health & Safety, Math, Art/Music, Language Arts/History). We don't do every subject every day.
The curriculum I use comes with a schedule that I use for LA and History so I just indicate any extra projects for those subjects on my schedule sheet.
I plan things for a few weeks in advance (no more than 5 weeks) and correct or cross things out as we come to them so it is also a record of what we did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.