Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupidly, I assumed that foods were where the gluten ended. My son fell and scraped his knee and he wanted a bandaid. We put a nexcare princess bandaid on him, and his DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) which had disappeared since going GF is back with a vengenace, bringing with it much unhappiness. Under the bandage his skin is blistered and raw.

He's miserable! He even asked, begged, to nurse tonight. Of course, I let him, but it didn't help!
:

Any suggestions?

And, what can I do to help him when he gets a little gluten? It only takes a little for him.

Gak! He's been doing so well! He grew 2.5 inches in 3 months! That's got to be some record! I can't stand the back stepping with him. Grrrrr.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
My son isn't GF/CF, but at one point he was scratching himself bloody so I put a bandaid on overnight so he wouldn't scratch it more and when I took it off the next day, the area where the bandaid was stuck was worse than the original wound. I'm not sure what is in them exactly, but it's some nasty stuff.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Wow, I never even thought to check this? Brandon won't keep a bandage on, so it's never on long enough for him to react to, but you know, adhesives in envelopes, stickers, and postage stamps contain gluten, so it's entirely possible. I need to check this out further--this might be a HUGE thing my doctors are missing (they're trying to figure out why my Celiac is out of control again, but of course, after every blood test, they put a bandage on me...)

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's really bad tonight--we're up crying and taking hot baths, and screaming. His stomach hurts, his legs hurt, he's just miserable. It's really awful and I can't think of a single thing he could have eaten! It's driving me crazy!

He's also starting school Monday, so the DH has started up at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I'm wondering if he may have a latex allergy on top of it (or an allergy to whatever it is that is in bandaids). Has he been tested for that? And pans...if you use tephlon/non-stick pans and gluten has ever touched it (or wooden spoons, etc...anything porous), you run the risk of cross-contaminating because it's very difficult to get gluten out of porous surfaces. We discovered that the hard way...

Poor thing...I can't imagine how much pain he's in right now. I can't think of anything that would be helpful--usually when we have a reaction, it's pretty painful, and nothing really makes it go away. Maybe a warm compress on his abdomen would help take some of the pain away in his stomach?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
That's a pretty good description. It feels like really bad cramping, at least for me. It actually feels worse to me than contractions during labor. I think I've told DH more than once that it feels like someone's stabbing a knife through my abdomen. So, I think the stomach falling out would be a good description for a 4 year old... Poor kiddo...
He will probably feel better in the morning (I hope!).

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh, and I just remembered...if he's starting school, you'd want to make sure the teachers know that he needs special playdoughs, he can't lick envelopes or have stickers put on his skin, no sunblock/lip gloss/etc. that hasn't been confirmed g/f, glue, etc. Somewhere I read a gluten free school supplies list--now I have to track it down. I read it in an autism magazine once, but I'm sure it's online somewhere...

ETA: I found this one...it's way better than the one I had read earlier...

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/lofiv...php/t7904.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.