Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With DS1, we really had a schedule. Not that it was written in stone, because it wasn't. We had several friends with which we did a lot out of the house, so our schedule was very flexible, but it was there. Or there was at least a predictable flow to the day. KWIM? Breakfast was followed by doing the breakfast dishes which was followed by getting dressed which was followed by ... well, you get the idea. Times weren't definite, but there was the same pattern to things every day.

Then, we had more kids. Now, our days seem to be about organized chaos. Mostly the chaos. I think DS2 especially needs more structure to his days -- he functions better when he knows what is coming next. I guess I just don't know how to go about getting back into a routine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Hi. I didn't want to lurk and run here. Organized chaos sounds familiar! We call it controlled chaos here.

We don't have a real schedule at all. Some things are consistent with a loose routine, others are totally just go with the flow. We have one DD and she's 3 now. After observing the last few nights with her, I think we'll try and get a semi-scheduled bed time for her (we've never done this before) but she is getting really tired by a certain predictable time now and I think if we start up a routine an hour before then, she'll go to bed more readily.

This next month, we start a co-op preschool so we'll have a little more stucture in our lives. We do various classes (YMCA swimming) but they change every 5-6 weeks so any scheduling comes from me - and I'm not a very scheduled person. I think now that DD is a little older she'll benefit from a bit more predictability. She seems to want it now.

Good luck with your DC's. Sounds like you know what you need to do. I'm sure some other mamas will have some good ideas for implementing some organization into your days.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I wouldn't say we're on a schedule but our days definitely have a routine. The constants are meals, snacks, nap for ds. In the morning we do laundry and housework, while ds naps we have quiet time or mom and dd time, afternoon we might play outside or go somewhere. While this isn't a strict schedule, I know the kids and I benefit from the general sameness with a few different things thrown in for fun.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Our basic schedule:

Chores
Breakfast
Math
Outside play
Science or History
Snack
Playtime
Art or Music
Lunch
Storytime
Naptime from 1:30 to 3:30
Outside or playroom play until around four
Snack
Reading/spelling/writing
Playtime
Dinner
Cleanup
Playtime
Baths/teeth
Bible reading/story
Bedtime

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.