Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

· Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like I am the only one who has DS eat off of real plates. He doesn't have special plates, he just uses a salad plate instead of a dinner one. He does have small snack bowls that are made for kids. Everyone else seems to have special plastic plates for their kids and I've had them ask for plastic here - which I don't have. Well, I do in the picnic stuff that's in the garage. We've just always had him use our stuff.

Thoughts?

· Registered
211 Posts
We have a couple of plastic plates (left from sets) that we use half the time. At other times - its regular adult plates and bowls. There was a time when DS was known to throw plates on the floor so we bought the sets. He stopped it after a while, and I prefer to use regular dishes now. It is easier than having to worry about having special plate clean and available.

· Registered
9,481 Posts
We all use plastic plates from time to time -- we have a set of picnic plates that are stored in the cabinet because we use them frequently for backyard picnics, and many times I'll just grab those for lunch or breakfast plates. My lunch is actually next to the computer on a plastic plate right now.

At dinner time DS usually uses a salad plate, but sometimes he gets a plastic one if that's the next one on the stack and it's convenient to grab.

· Premium Member
4,952 Posts
We have two plastic plates that rotate with regular salad plates. DS did break a regular plate by dropping it off his high chair.

What I LOVE is serving him in my Grammie's old wood salad bowls.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
If we're eating the same thing, she just eats off my plate. Other wise she either doesn't have a plate; she uses her tray. Sometimes I give her a paper plate. Sometimes.

I don't like plastics and I'm afraid to give her one of our dishes bc they are from a very old set and rather precious.

· Registered
3,829 Posts
we use real plates and utensils. DS gets the salad size.

He is still using his plastic and stainless cups as I can't deal with breaking glasses all the time. I also use these for snacks.

· Premium Member
11,523 Posts
My kids use the same dishes we do - which are real
We do end up with a good amount of broken glasses because we have ceramic tile and a counter height table - but thinking about it, the majority are broke by DH or I, and often in the dishwasher.

eta: this reminds me of a time we were visiting my sister. She had hoped I would bring kid safe dishes for them to use while were there b/c she doesn't have any (no babies, yet) and I was confused b/c they use 'adult' dishes, so it never occurred to me to buy plastic or paper dishes to bring over.

· Registered
4,975 Posts
We use both. The plastic ones are ones a neighbor gave us with characters on them so the little one usually wants one of those and I give it to her. Since I don't micro. the plates I don't think it is going to be that terrible healthwise for her. We tend to only use glass glasses though. I think it's funny when people make a big deal about finding them plastic cups when they have been using glass ones since they were about a year old.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Depends on whether or not I feel like doing dishes....Lol.

DS has his favorite plates that happen to be plastic, but if they're all dirty then he uses the small side plates of our glass set.

He's particular when it comes to cups though...he likes the glass ones.

Makes no difference to me....he's been really good about not dropping or breaking them.

· Registered
1,317 Posts
I have a few plastic ones that were given as gifts, but only one that I bought. The one that I bought is divided into 5 compartments and I bought it just to use in the car while we were driving to my grandparents which is 7 hours away. We don't generally stop and get out to eat, just for bathroom breaks, so the plate was special! Other than that, DD1 uses what we use. I do have smaller forks in the place setting my mom has, but at home she uses regular sized utensils.

· Registered
3,829 Posts
At nana's house, DS gets only plastic. She has all sorts of character plates and cups for him.

Considering they only use disposable stuff at their house, he is actually getting spoiled by being able to eat off a real plate, even if real in that house is plastic.

· Registered
1,615 Posts
I wish I could give DD regular plates! She thinks it is so awesome to watch them shatter on the floor. Glasses too. She throws EVERYTHING!! So, she eats directly off the table or booster tray, or she gets a plastic bowl, which I have to hold down with one hand while she eats so it doesn't get thrown, food and all. The bowls even have suction cups. DD is stronger than suction cups, and she knows it.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
My 3 year old daughter uses our regular dishes and has since she was tiny. She's never broken anything. We did get her some child size stainless flatware because ours just seemed too big, but she is starting to use some of our regular teaspoons sometimes (she calls them big girl spoons
). She does still use little plastic cups, but I was just thinking this morning that I need to get her some small glasses.

So far the baby just eats off his highchair tray. He's not quite as chill as my daughter was, so I'm thinking about getting him some stainless steel dishes before transitioning him to real dishes. Basically, he worries me

· Registered
25,568 Posts
My kids all use real dishes right now. I do use some plastic plates for lunch quite often, but only because I like that they're in sections, and I don't have any sectioned dishes that aren't plastic. I did use plastic when they were younger. DS1 wasn't too bad, but both dd1 and ds2 have gone through spells where they threw things a lot. DD1 broke at least two of mom's dishes when we lived there, and ds2 has broken a couple things, too. I don't think plastic is perfect, but it doesn't send sharp shards around the room, and it doesn't hurt so much if it hits someone.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.