Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well maybe not the world, but I read this article in a magazine and was inspired, Some of you may have heard about the Kyoto Protocol that pretty much every other developed country has signed (162 as of 2/06) it is a treaty to reduce green house gas emissions, USA of course backed out.
And there has been a big stink in the media about the climate changing right now and we HAVE to do something or ELSE..
I am always like okay I can do something at my house but pretty much I am helpless but appearantly a bunch of US cities have adopted practices to reduce green house emissions, 208 mayors fm 38 states (maybe one of yours??) there are a few different organizations that actually help the citly once the mayor signes a committment (the US Mayors Climate Protection Agreement) and Cities for Climate Protection.
The article says that it only takes a dozen people (I am thinking signatures w/ addresses for the corresponding city) and that sounds EASY to obtain.
the Kyotousa.org website even provides the letters to send to the mayor.
I am going to get people from my city to sign the letter, and mail it to the mayor.
I am sending the info to different groups in hope that someone else will be inspired and will get the signatures and mail it to their mayor.

Some of the changes that other cities have made are from changing bulbs to the energy efficient ones which actually saves a ton of money for small and large buildings, Changing traffic signals to LED lights (another $ saver), improving public transportation, changing citiy vehicles to hybrid, city compost piles, solar energy use, not sure about wind use in FL but other states have used it, there are a bunch of suggestions.

here are some websites about it

http://www.kyotousa.org/index.php?p=p_cities

the kyotousa link provides the sample letter etc.

http://www.iclei.org/us/ccp/

http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/mayor/cl...ult.htm#cities

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmama_1963
I care about this planet and the people and animals in it. I want to help save the earth, but I am worried about what the people at my church would say. Please help me!!

greenmama, why would you be worried what the people at your church would say?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am wondering the same thing, if I belonged to a church that would be the first place I would go to get signatures, wouldn't church members thing it was a GOOD thing to help the environment?

·
Registered
52 Posts
greenmama_1963 -
My husband and I go to a local Intervarsity group for Christian grad students, and were there last night. I am assuming you go to a Christian church, and are worried about being perceived as too liberal? Part of our discussion was around this exact issue which you raised - the neglect of God's creation by many who consider themselves Christian.

I don't have a lot of time right now, but here are a couple of resources for further ideas. Please look into them! I think the first one will really speak to some of your concerns:
1.A Rocha
"A Rocha is a Christian nature conservation organisation, our name coming from the Portuguese for "the Rock," as the first initiative was a field study centre in Portugal. A Rocha is now a family of projects working in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, North and South America, and Asia. A Rocha projects are frequently cross-cultural in character, and share a community emphasis, with a focus on science and research, practical conservation and environmental education."

I copied that from the web site just now. Last night we watched a very interesting video by/about the work of A Rocha, interviewing three (or four?) pastors on why they think ecology must not be neglected by the body of Christ. This was a very interesting video. I am not sure whether you could find out about it at the website, but if you would like, I can find out from the person who had it last night.

2.Woodland Hills Church
I am not sure how far into the materials at this site you might have to go for help, but some of the thinking would touch on environmental issues. This is an evangelical "megachurch" in St. Paul, Minnesota. The pastor is Bible-believing, resurrection-of-Christ-preaching, and will NOT fall in line with the Christian Right as they attempt to turn every Christian into a Republican. He did a series of sermons called The Cross and the Sword which hit the nail on the head about a lot of issues. We are in Vermont, but we were so glad to discover this pastor and his church. They have a good web site w/ lots of resources; we downloaded the sermons. He is a riveting, hard-hitting, intelligent speaker. I would recommend him to everyone, and not just because I might have some hope that they might get interested in Jesus, but also because the Christian church in the US is having a major impact on all of us in the world right now, and it is not all for the good.
For more information on this, please go to:
Resources > A Myth, a Cross and a Sword > More Information

Hope this helps

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrayn
Well maybe not the world, but I read this article in a magazine and was inspired, Some of you may have heard about the Kyoto Protocol that pretty much every other developed country has signed (162 as of 2/06) it is a treaty to reduce green house gas emissions, USA of course backed out.
And there has been a big stink in the media about the climate changing right now and we HAVE to do something or ELSE..
I am always like okay I can do something at my house but pretty much I am helpless but appearantly a bunch of US cities have adopted practices to reduce green house emissions, 208 mayors fm 38 states (maybe one of yours??) there are a few different organizations that actually help the citly once the mayor signes a committment (the US Mayors Climate Protection Agreement) and Cities for Climate Protection.
The article says that it only takes a dozen people (I am thinking signatures w/ addresses for the corresponding city) and that sounds EASY to obtain.
the Kyotousa.org website even provides the letters to send to the mayor.
I am going to get people from my city to sign the letter, and mail it to the mayor.
I am sending the info to different groups in hope that someone else will be inspired and will get the signatures and mail it to their mayor.

Some of the changes that other cities have made are from changing bulbs to the energy efficient ones which actually saves a ton of money for small and large buildings, Changing traffic signals to LED lights (another $ saver), improving public transportation, changing citiy vehicles to hybrid, city compost piles, solar energy use, not sure about wind use in FL but other states have used it, there are a bunch of suggestions.

here are some websites about it

http://www.kyotousa.org/index.php?p=p_cities

the kyotousa link provides the sample letter etc.

http://www.iclei.org/us/ccp/

http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/mayor/cl...ult.htm#cities

Thanks for posting these.
I'm gonna read further on the links when I get a few extra minutes.

greenmama - I 2nd the pp's. I would hope that the people at your (or anyones) church would be more than happy to sign. After all...it is to help JAHS (GODS) creation.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i was just reading about this issue a couple of days ago. when i get home if i can find the article i'll post it.
basically it was saying that christians should be leading the environmental movement, not lagging way behind. churches should all be built green, or retrofitted to have the tiniest possible ecological footprint. christians, after all, are supposed to set the example for the rest of the world in a) love and b) stewardship of the earth. how are we respecting, let alone loving the creator if we're spitting all over his creation?
the article is a lot more articulate than me.
i know this isn't helpful when it's opinions, not theology that you're up against. people sometimes suck, regardless of faith. but someone needs to stand up for what's right, and if you change your lightbulbs and flush your toilet less, will anyone notice? and if they do, sure they'll think you're a bit weird, but will it be a big deal?
pick one small thing to start doing or not doing in september. then another in october. change your own habits gradually and see where it takes you. if anyone has anything to say, tell them that you can't love God without taking care of what he's made. if they don't get it, they don't get it. but wouldn't you rather have a healthy (or healthier) planet for your kids than the approval of someone so uptight?
not that i've told my pastor about the cloth toilet paper...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.