Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p.../NEWS/50604016

A few bits from the article

"Dr. Sandland - known for the past decade as the doctor local women went to if they desired natural, vaginal deliveries - moved to Mississippi last week after being told by New Hanover Regional Medical Center administrators to do more c-sections.

Considered major abdominal surgery with complications that can lead to death, c-sections became used more commonly for abnormally positioned babies or when the mother or baby is in distress. During a c-section, mothers are given anesthesia, an incision is made through muscles of the abdomen, organs are moved aside and the baby is pulled from a cut in the uterus.

"I've always maintained I'm a midwife with a MD behind my name," she said from her two-story Pine Valley home last week while preparing to move. "It's better for Mother Nature to decide when it's time, not the doctor. My philosophy is you don't interfere unless you really have to."

Her philosophy, admittedly different from the mainstream, attracted many patients who wanted the best chance of having a vaginal delivery. Dr. Sandland became known as one of the few doctors in the area who would try to deliver breech babies naturally or pursue a vaginal birth with a woman who already had one child with a c-section. Her solo practice boomed.

If her lack of medical malpractice lawsuits and gratitude of patients are of any account, she was not only popular, but also successful.

But the Star-News viewed two letters addressed to her from committee members. Written on New Hanover Regional letterhead dated July 6 and July 7, 2004, the letters discuss the conversation committee members had with her.

The first letter, written by Dr. Cobern Peterson, chairman of the Professional Review Committee, stated "concerns" regarding her practice. They include higher than average infant birth weights, much lower than average c-section rates and later than average gestational age of neonates at delivery.

The next letter, written by Dr. Janelle Rhyne, acting chairman of the Credentials Committee, states Dr. Sandland's privileges at the hospital would be reappointed for a period of six months but monitoring would continue.

It reads, "Your c-section rate is to be within an acceptable range as determined by the NHRMC OB/GYN Department with a plus or minus deviation of two.""

· Registered
15,055 Posts
My family doctor will not be taking any more OB patients because of these same attitudes. The local hospital she delivers at has nearly a 50% c-section rate (of course not doing VBACs isn't helping that rate get any lower).

· Registered
4,207 Posts
Quote:
The first letter, written by Dr. Cobern Peterson, chairman of the Professional Review Committee, stated "concerns" regarding her practice. They include higher than average infant birth weights, much lower than average c-section rates and later than average gestational age of neonates at delivery.
I had no idea these were BAD things!!

· Registered
5,037 Posts
So in other words, it sounds to me like she was told "Even though you have healthy, happy moms and babies, you're not making us enough money!"

Sad... so sad... I'm glad she had enough integrity to leave instead of just complying.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah's Mom
It reads, "Your c-section rate is to be within an acceptable range as determined by the NHRMC OB/GYN Department with a plus or minus deviation of two.""

So they are going to make her do more c-sections not because of law suits, not because of malpractice, not because the babies lives are in danger, but because they now have a c-section quote they have to meet? *sigh*

· Registered
25,568 Posts
You know...I'd think low birth weights and preterm babies would be a bigger concern than big babies and postdates. Of course, I'd also think that higher than average c-section rates would be a concern.

And, I'd think genuine concerns about her practice would be if she had a higher than normal infant/maternal mortality rate, or more babies being born with birth-induced complications. I guess a healthy mom with a healthy baby - the stated objective of many pro c-section doctors - just isn't good enough.

· Registered
7,944 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like one of those freaks who lets fetuses hang out and gestate well past the 38-week mark...who knows, maybe she even lets them go past 40 or 41 weeks!
And maybe she doesn't freak out when her patients gain over 30 lbs.

· Registered
7,586 Posts
I know of a local OB that was pressured by his partners to increase his cesarean rate. They said that if they had a higher rate, they had lower malpractice premium costs.

In the words of Cyndi Lauper, "Money changes everything...."

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Hey, 3 cheers for practising evidenced based medicine!
:
:

Any one who wants to fax the two doctors mentioned thier opinion on their "enlightened" comments ought to go to the hospitals website and search for their names...
Be sure to cc the newspaper.

Olivia

· Registered
171 Posts
: That article makes me sick! Hopefully, some women in Mississippi just got lucky!

#1 Corben Van Peterson, Jr. MD -- anesthesiologist Ph: (910) 442-1100
Fax: (910) 442-1199

#2 Janelle A. Rhyne MD -- infectious disease Ph: (910) 815-3245
Fax: (910) 254-1073

· Registered
1,355 Posts
I read this article this morning and just about fell out of my seat. I was coming here to post the same thing if it hadn't already been posted. It is interesting that the midwives that I birthed with at this same hospital and had a wonderful hospital birth with dd are not delivering babies after August 1st of this year. No one I've talked to seems to know for sure what happened. It's a good thing I already was set on a homebirth. My hb midwife seems to the think the hospital has something to do with them going out of practice as well. And now this doctor leaving due to pressure to perform c-sections!

· Registered
7,944 Posts
Who knows, maybe if this continues, it will be a good thing in the long run.
People will realize that the only way to have a vaginal birth will be at home, so more people will use midwives, and then they will wonder why vaginal birth ever moved into hospitals in the first place.

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greaseball
Who knows, maybe if this continues, it will be a good thing in the long run.
People will realize that the only way to have a vaginal birth will be at home, so more people will use midwives, and then they will wonder why vaginal birth ever moved into hospitals in the first place.
I don't know. It seems like this is a symptom of the larger problem--money controlling the issues surrounding maternity care. If these sorts of things are permitted by women, and they *are* being permitted and embraced, then it could extend to endanger the practice of midwifery. That really scares me.

In some states, midwives are required to carry insurance, and if the insurance rates are lower for people who are performing cesarean sections, then that leaves midwives paying higher fees... It's already exorbitant, as is.

What it might do to midwifery is send it back underground, which doesn't benefit the most amount of people, and it criminalizes the practice of midwifery.

This really scares me. I cannot believe that even with a record of good outcome based on her practices that they would recommend to this OB to cut more women open. I feel like kissing her and kicking *them*.

· Registered
6,303 Posts
Wow. That is one of the most messed up stories ever. I am so sad for our whole civilization. Really. I swear, things aren't getting better,
they are getting worse. The c-section rate in this country (the US) is now 27.6% Seriously, WTF is going on????

BTW, I really hate online papers that make you register to read, I want to read the whole article!
:

· Registered
6,303 Posts
I was reading a journal today, JOGNN (journal of obstetric, gynecologic, and neonatal nurses), and I was
at some of the crap. In the intro to one study someone recently did about letting mom eat and drink during labor and it's effect, if any, on labor dystocia (which concluded food and drink vs IV fluids didn't have any effect on labor dystocia), they were talking about the 27.6% c-section rate and how we have been trying so hard over recent years to decrease this climbing rate without success, I am just thinking what the hell are they talking about?? How has ANYONE in the mainstream medical community tried to lower c-section rates? What is anyone doing? No one is really addressing labor dystocia. It is still all about deciding when and how to implement forceps and vacuums and c-sections. Never about not inducing in the first place and letting mom move freely and choosing her own positions to birth in and being left alone. And then they went on in another section to talk about practicing evidence based medicine.
When has obstetrics ever practiced evidence based medicine? The whole thing was so bizarre. I hate those magazines. I hate the whole community that is still turning a blind eye to the real issues. An organization that pretends to be out for the best interests of moms and babies. We nurses are supposed to be advocates for our patients. But the truth goes unrecognized and yet is so apparent. The information is out there, the studies have been done (though there could be more, surely) but no one sees. How is that??? It doesn't make any sense that the people who are right there with all the information at their fingertips and supposedly trying to solve these problems can't put it all together and figure it out.

· Registered
25,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2six
This was one of the most mindboggling articles I have read in a long time. I think when the one doctor called her a 'renegade' what he meant was 'she makes the rest of us look bad'!!!!
:
She looks good. They make themselves look bad.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.