Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our doctor looked at our birth plan. (No circ, no vaccinations, no glucose, no pacifiers, no eye goop, no vit. K) All natural as possible. No epidural. So he was fine for all of it except concerns with two things;

eye goop-said without the antibiotic it could cause blindness and he thought that was the state law, you MUST have this.

-so we are in Ohio, is it really state law? And I thought only blindness if you have STD's or any other diseases like this if you dont get the goop?

Pitocin-Said I must have it after birth to contract the uterus and to prevent bleeding.

-what is your take on this? I think I had this for my first child simply because I was bleeding massively and they inject me with it. But does it go through breastfeeding to the baby?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The eye stuff is not mandated by state law. I'm in Ohio and I refused it for my dd. I didn't even have to sign anything. About the pitocin, they gave it to me unknowingly without my permisision after labor. You can refuse it if you want. You can refuse anything, they just might make it difficult for you. HTH.

ETA: I don't know if the pitocin goes to the baby through breastfeeding. That's a good question.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you by any chance have the link to the "law" that says that eye goop is not mandated by Ohio state law so that I can show to my doctor?

Also for the pitocin, is it safe?

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
About the pitocin I would simply tell him you refuse it unless you do start to have bleeding issues. Amazing how so many woman have had babies and never had a drop of pit and did just fine.

I dont know about the law on the eye stuff tho.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
As far as I'm aware, it is the law that they offer it to you. I don't know of any state where you have to have it but there are several states (i.e., NY) where I know it can be difficult to refuse it.

The pit is used post partum to stop a hemmorage. The same thing can be accomplished with uterine massage in most cases but it is a good idea to have pit available in case the massage doesn't work. I know one of the side affects is that it can hyperstimulate the uterus. I haven't seen anything about whether it passes into breastmilk.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hpienkos View Post
Would you by any chance have the link to the "law" that says that eye goop is not mandated by Ohio state law so that I can show to my doctor?

Also for the pitocin, is it safe?
I don't, but you shouldn't have to show anything to him. If there is a law that mandates that babies must get the eye goop, the burden of proof is on him to show it to you, IMO.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
It is your body. You have every right to refuse the pit. Period. Women have given birth for eons without needing it. You'll be fine. You might want to stipulate that it can be used if there is a true medical emergency, though.

Eye goop-you also have every right to refuse. It's the same as with vaccines. Just bring in a prepared refusal written out that you refuse it. You don't have syphilis (I assume), so there's no reason for it. At all.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGlimmeringHope View Post
I would fight for immediate breastfeeding to contract the uterus and prevent bleeding vs. pitocin. I mean, why go against the way nature intended to solve the problem?
I second that.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yes, breastfeeding helps to contract the uterus. There may be need for pitocin if it doesn't clamp down like it's supposed to and you are bleeding, but there is no reason that pitocin should be used in every case. It should be readily available, but not immediately jabbed in your thigh (or IV) once the baby is out (which is SOP in many hospitals). I think they do it b/c it doesn't cause harm and it might be necessary for some women, so they just give it to all of them.

Uterine massage is also not necessary in every case. It is necessary to check to make sure the uterus is contracting (which you can do yourself) and to masssage if it's not firm (which you can also do yourself and is much less painful than if someone else does it). I heard many complain of nurses mashing their bellies and the pain it causes.

Also, the eye goop should be optional, even if you have to sign a waiver. It can actually cause blocked tear ducts and again, they just automatically give it to every baby b/c they feel it does no harm and that there are a few babies who really do need it...more CYA hospital procedure really.

Christa

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Breastfeeding causes the body to release oxtocin which is the natural form of pitocin. It causes the uterus to contract and shrink. I should add also that nipple stimulation of anykind has this effect. Thats why nipple stimulation is used to get labor going or encourage it to stengthen. It causes the uterus to contract. I would also not let them cut the cord until it stops pulsing. It will give baby a bit more time to adjust to breathing on his/her own and it will be a sure sign that the placenta is ready to detatch on its own and the uterus is ready to do its thing after the placenta is out. Pulling on the cord can make bleeding worse. Most docs are in a hurry.

Pitocin should only be used if there is excessive bleeding. There will be bleeding after a birth from the placental detatchment sight but it also depends on how the woman tolerates the bleeding. Some women feel shocky with only small amounts of blood loss others can loose alot and be just fine. It should always be looked at from a case to case point of view not just so the doctor can hurry up and get on his way.

Its sad that our culture doesnt promote breastfeeding as the norm or they would be saying "you better get that baby to breast" instead of "here let me give you this little shot since your body doesnt work propperly on its own"
Assinine......

So the point is that by nipple stimulation you can slow the bleeding and shrink the uterus and if there is a hemorage then a shot of pit should be used. Not before.
Angela

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The eye goop is to ward against STD transmition to the babies eyes which can cause blindness in the worst case scenario. Most care providers will routinely test for things like Gonoria(spelling?) prenataly. If you dont have it then why bother with the goop. If you know that you and your sexual partner do not have it and have been monogamous then well whats the point.

It was made mandatory so that babies were protected if the mother did not know if she had STDs or maybe didnt fess up to it at birth due to embarassment and not knowing the dangers.

When you preregister at the hospie ask for the waiver forms to sign before hand so its taken care of. If there are no waivers(there has to be if its a law)then write a note and have it put in your chart and use bright colors!
Hope all this helps!
Angela

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
eye goop: I'm not in OH but AFAIK, "state law" means that the hospitals are required to administer it. It doesn't mean you are required to allow it. If you know your STD status is negative, then there is NO risk of blindness stemming from refusing this. None.

pit: check your tribal area--I'm sure that someone can help you find some sort of info on patient's rights and informed consent/dissent stuff. But maybe you could just appease your doc by rewording your birth plan to say "Pit to be delayed until after nursing has been established, except in case of severe hemmorage." Then get that baby to the breast and nurse! By that time, the doc will prolly be long gone, and you can just refuse the pit from the nurses if everything is well, saying it's in your doc-approved birth plan. But you do have to watch, because they are sneaky with the PP pit! I was injected (in my IV) with it without ever being asked, or realizing it'd been done.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm in Ohio and refused eye goop at Ryan's birth. I did have to sign something at the hospital. I have no eye, vitK or vax on current birth plan and my OB said it looked great

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.