Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods, if this post doesn't belong in this forum, please feel free to relocate.

Today was my DD's 6 month well-baby appointment (she's two months premature, so she's developmentally 4 months) Here are some wonderful tidbits from her pediatrician (who is great, but he and I definitely don't see eye to eye on many things) 1.) "is she on solids yet?" Seriously....she's really 4 months old and you think she should be eating something other than breastmilk? 2.) "Why are you still co-sleeping? You'll get more sleep if you just let her cry it out in the end....Plus, you know it's just dangerous"

And, as we left the building, I had her in her ring sling nursing and COVERED, and practically every nurse looked at us like we had 3 eyes... Geesh...I can only imagine if my DD was a toddler. I mean, seriously, she's a baby nursing and we are at a doctor's office. I guess not too many moms in my big city NIP or at least to the ripe old age of 4 months. Even as we were leaving the building, moms that were coming in kept staring at me. Maybe they just wondered what was going on under the cover, I don't know.

It's just so frustrating. Thanks for listening to my rant.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yeah, I second that one! The ped I took DS to when he was 3 weeks old, the guy was younger but still mainstream (sigh). I didn't tell him we co sleep (none of his business anyway), and didn't go back, for many reasons. He 'walked in' on me bf'ing DS and acted like he was 'embarrassed' or something, lol! Like what is the big deal, kwim? I knew we weren't going back after he gives me a scrip for iron drops, after he didn't do any testing on his iron levels. Then when I say not to retract DS, he says, "oh I won't do that till he's older". No, you won't ever do it because we are not coming back!

The PA (who seemed really nice) said everyone was all agog that I had DS at home! WOW...what a strange concept!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
Yeah, I second that one! The ped I took DS to when he was 3 weeks old, the guy was younger but still mainstream (sigh). I didn't tell him we co sleep (none of his business anyway), and didn't go back, for many reasons. He 'walked in' on me bf'ing DS and acted like he was 'embarrassed' or something, lol! Like what is the big deal, kwim? I knew we weren't going back after he gives me a scrip for iron drops, after he didn't do any testing on his iron levels. Then when I say not to retract DS, he says, "oh I won't do that till he's older". No, you won't ever do it because we are not coming back!

The PA (who seemed really nice) said everyone was all agog that I had DS at home! WOW...what a strange concept!
sounds like our 1st ped visit.

DD was 5 days old and the hospital had me a bit worried about her terrifying
8% weight loss. I had this conversation

nurse: what formula are you using?
me: none, we're breastfeeding
nurse: but what are you supplementing with?
me: we're just breastfeeding, no formula at all
nurse: how many oz does she take at a feeding
me: (pp hormones in full swing) I don't know, my boobs don't have oz marks.

DD was freaking out and they couldn't hear to get her pulse. So as DD is screaming the dr. and I have this conversation.

dr.: do you have her paci
me: She dosen't take one
dr.:

me: I could just nurse her, hang on let me sit down (move to sit on the table)
dr:
Oh, no no that's ok.

we try in vain to get dd somewhat quiet for a bit more

me: (still with the raging pp hormones) This is stupid. (as I sit down and lift my shirt to nurse)

dr:
hightails it out of the room with a muttered "Oh, I'll just..."

I latch dd on, she calms right down. A few min later a nurse comes in and takes DD's heart rate easy peasy. I haven't seen him since. We found a new ped.

Good grief, a dr embarrassed by boobs. Don't you see boobs in med school at some point?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
:

OMG....I couldn't have come up with that one even without raging hormones....HILARIOUS!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I haven't had any of these experiences, although my ped. did tell me that her son weaned himself at 8 months. But when I took DS2 in at 15 months (haven't been back since...I don't see the point!) he was pulling my shirt up right as the nurse asked, "is he still breastfeeding?" Then she was like, "I can see the answer is yes. My toddler does that when he wants to nurse, too!"

When I was first breastfeeding (in the hospital--DS2 was in the NICU, etc.) I took my entire shirt off to breastfeed because I hated holding my shirt up from his mouth. (seems kind of silly now!) Anyhow, the male doctor walked into the private room and didn't bat an eye. I was slightly embarrassed but was able to have a conversation with him about my son's health.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I had a female doctor who was beyond embarrassed when I unbuttoned my shirt to nurse DS (who of course wanted to nurse right in the middle of the very uncomfortable "why aren't you vaxing" conversation) This was after asking if formula ever came out his nose and telling me I'd need to give him vitamin drops until I stopped "doing that" and got him on formula.

Yeah...we didn't go back there.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
This was after asking if formula ever came out his nose and telling me I'd need to give him vitamin drops until I stopped "doing that" and got him on formula.

Yeah...we didn't go back there.
What the...
: Yeah, I wouldn't either.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Given that I've had every reaction from a 20-something guy knowing I was carrying a baby despite a completely zipped up coat to "you've got a baby in there?!?" from a woman with 2 kids who could see Lina clearly--I wouldn't read too much into people staring at you when nursing with a ring sling. It might be the carrier not the activity.

·
Registered
318 Posts
after i had ds (7) the dr came onto the ward,introduced himself,asked if he could examine me, pulled the curtains round and wipped my boobs out without any warning!

i cant remember what he was checking for but he definately was a real dr and not some random wierdo.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't understand why some doctors and nurses get so weirded out by bf, especially if the momma doesn't seem to mind nip. Honestly, if I was a doctor and saw a momma bf I would want to give a
instead of a odd look.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Wow. Where do you all live? I didn't really enjoy my HMO of peds when my DD was born BUT all the rooms had nursing rocking chairs and I nursed all the time in front of all the doctors. None of them ever batted an eye - just kept asking questions.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by naupakamama View Post
Wow. Where do you all live? I didn't really enjoy my HMO of peds when my DD was born BUT all the rooms had nursing rocking chairs and I nursed all the time in front of all the doctors. None of them ever batted an eye - just kept asking questions.
I agree. My doctor always tells me to go ahead and nurse DS while we chat. He even congratulates me on still using the cloth diapers every time I see him. He is from NY though, so that probably explains all of his crazy ideas

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
I got the same question from the nurse at our first visit after I explained I was only nursing. I just said I don't know and DH gave your same answer. She kind of laughed when she realized it was a silly question, she was just going down the list of usual questions.

Also, at my first visit, my Dr was training another Dr and when she saw me nursing explained to the other Dr about all the benefits and so on. She also asked me detailed questions about what the LC who came to our house told me and took notes (!) so she could help patients in the future. (She is a GP, not ped.)I love our Dr.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
Also, at my first visit, my Dr was training another Dr and when she saw me nursing explained to the other Dr about all the benefits and so on. She also asked me detailed questions about what the LC who came to our house told me and took notes (!) so she could help patients in the future. (She is a GP, not ped.)I love our Dr.
I will preface this with the fact that I never nursed. I tried, but I had no support, so I just gave up.
Anyway- I have become less mainstream in my medical views (is that vaccine really necessary?), and I have noticed that GPs seem to be more open to less mainstream ideas than Peds do. I took DD to see a ped once, after that it was our GP.
Just my observation.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe it was the sling; I hadn't thought about that. But, you're right, I've only seen one other person wear a sling (and I know her!). Maybe that weirded them out...

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
My dr is constantly amazed that I have the 'supply' to still be nursing my DD. She always says "Wow, really? You must really have good supply." WTF? Of course I do...how could you not (barring medical issue) when your nurse on demand?

We get the 'what formula are you using?" None, she's breastfed. "Fully?" "Yes." "Wow..."

Yeah, I'm in rural Iowa, mainstream capitol of the universe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.