Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a friend who's coming to do this. I have an aunt and grandma for each of my boys to be/not be there as they desire, and my 'cuz-in-law' to make the food and stock the freezer for us. Oh, and DH and I will labor and have a baby.

We're planning a party. But I like my labors that way.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This time around I'm hiring a professional. No joke.

During my first two birth experiences Dh was in charge of the camcorder. He does a fairly good job of it. Although, I'll admit he got a bit "coochie" shot happy this last time around. With DD1 a friend took pictures and with DD2 my mom took pictures. (One of the reasons I'm getting a professional involved THIS time around.
)

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
DH is in charge of the video camera but we have NO video of the last two briths because DH forgot to turn it on!

We did have two cameras out and DH and MW were encouraged to take pictures.

This time we are also hiring a professional photographer and hope to have the video set up as well.

Keri

·
Registered
743 Posts
How much are you paying for the photographers to come and take pics? I would love to do something like that but the one I found was waaaayyyy to expensive. I am having a friend come over and do it but would love someone proffesional

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingin'Momto4 View Post
How much are you paying for the photographers to come and take pics? I would love to do something like that but the one I found was waaaayyyy to expensive. I am having a friend come over and do it but would love someone proffesional

Our photographer is charging $500 - she has already been out once when labor started and later stopped on Saturday. She will come out again when it is 'real' labor
She saves all the pictures on a disk and puts them to music - it really is lovely, the pics fade in and out so it's almost like a video and she uses your choice of music. The best part is that the pictures are OURS and we can have her make some prints for us or we can print them ourselves!
I hope it works out that she is able to be here, she is pregnant with #4 and lives about 30 miles away.

Keri

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
My sister-in-law is a photographer, so I'm considering asking her to document my birth, if she's comfortable with that. Right now it's a little early, though, so I'll probably wait a couple of months to ask her.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerikadi View Post
Our photographer is charging $500 - she has already been out once when labor started and later stopped on Saturday. She will come out again when it is 'real' labor
She saves all the pictures on a disk and puts them to music - it really is lovely, the pics fade in and out so it's almost like a video and she uses your choice of music. The best part is that the pictures are OURS and we can have her make some prints for us or we can print them ourselves!
I hope it works out that she is able to be here, she is pregnant with #4 and lives about 30 miles away.

Keri
WOW! That is an awesome deal
We could swing that! The photographer I saw online wanted 2500.00! I could not swing that, how did you find your photographer?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PortraitPixie View Post
This was important to me because I am a photographer myself!
:

I asked a crunchy, artistic friend who I knew would do a great job to do this. It worked beautifully...she did a great job.

Any chance I have I show this off...please forgive me.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url
That was absoloutly stunning! I am going to school right now for photography and I really want something beautiful like this! Thanks so much for sharing

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
For dd, our birth assistant took pictures for us on her own. She picked up the camera and made that her secondary duty. Really nice! We didn't have any of ds's birth...

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's not unusual for professional birth photography to cost as much as a wedding photographer. ($2,000 and up.) Something to consider would be to hire a doula who has photography abilities or even hire a student who is trying to build her (his?) portfolio.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My aunts were supposed to be ther to help document the birth, one with the camera and the other on paper, but my labor was only an hour and 15 min's and they didn't make it in time! (they live 3 hours away).
My Mom snapped a few pictures, but she was my "midwife" so it was pretty hard to do both!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by homebirthbaby View Post
My aunts were supposed to be ther to help document the birth, one with the camera and the other on paper, but my labor was only an hour and 15 min's and they didn't make it in time! (they live 3 hours away).
My Mom snapped a few pictures, but she was my "midwife" so it was pretty hard to do both!
That's another thing I'm afraid of. Photographers with busy schedules, and friends and family who won't make it in time.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I am having a close friend who is just starting her photography business to come and take picures. She is doing it for a small fee but that is mainly b/c I want to pay her. You could ask around at the local colleges or trade shools and see if any students woud be interested. Or you could call some doulas and see what the would charge for "photos only" and not birth support if you don't want that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.