Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 18 weeks pregnant and nursing my 16 month old. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that there is no more milk. My last pregnancy, my nursling was well over 2 yo so I didn't worry about the lack of milk, but I'm a little worried that at his age he still needs the fats, etc. So I've offered cow's milk several times, but he hates it. Is it strictly necessary? I'm hoping to at least have some colostrum for him, but that could be 10+ weeks away. If I just up his cheese/yogurt and healthy fat intake, is there any need for cow's milk?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
we didn't do cows milk, or any other form of milk, just made sure DD was eating a wide variety of food. her weight gain did stall for a couple months, but then she gained almost 3 lbs in the first month after my milk came in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I personally don't think cow's milk is necessary at all. Especially if he eats yogurt. If he eats well he should be fine. If he's a really picky eater, maybe you can give him a multivitamin for kids.

Avocados are great for babies and toddlers. Lots of healthy fat. A little extra olive oil, flaxseed oil, nut butters, coconut oil and coconut milk are great too. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I don't think I'm going to worry about it. The kid has yet to meet a food he wouldn't eat, so I don't think there's much need to stress. Not having breastmilk to fall back on with a toddler is new territory to me, though, so I wasn't sure if I should be worried. I'm thinking 10 weeks or so and hopefully I should at least have some colostrum for him, which will make up for the no milk now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.