Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have one spot in my yard to garden and it gets morning sun, but then the trees and fence keep out afternoon sun, so it only gets partial sun. Should I just chop up the grass elsewhere in the yard? or will this be OK?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Depends on what you want to grow, but most veggies prefer full sun. Especially tomatoes; they won't do too well without it. I'd look up on google the veggies you wish to grow and see what their light requirements are.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Full sun is about 6 hours of sun per day
partial sun is 3-6
shade is under 3.

I think getting some relief from the afternoon sun is actually a good thing for many plants. it keeps them from drying out and becoming stressed. My farden was in shade from 3-6pm last year because we live on the north side of a mountain and we had excellent tomatoes.

Also, plants like squash and pumpkins do very well in partial sun. They have nice, wide leaves.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Our entire yard is shade. I've been getting some ideas from gardenweb.com though. I think that's the 3rd time today I posted about that site, I hope it's not against the ua.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Maybe you could try putting some of the things you are interested in growing in pots and stick them in that area this season. Probably some things will do fine and others just won't prosper (tomatoes and peppers really need alot of sun). However, if the other stuff you are interested in growing do fine (greens seem to grow pretty well in shade), you can make your garden there and maybe look to put another small garden somewhere else where there is more sun. My garden is divvyed up into shade and sun spots. So far, however, I haven't found enough sun to grow peppers. I have a spot to try this year though, because my neighbor took down a tree.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.