Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 month DS generally only drinks bm (from the "tap", lol) and water, but recently DH was drinking V8 at the dinner table and DS wanted to try some - and he actually liked it! I don't like that the sodium level in V8 is so high (and that it's not 100% juice), but it made me consider having him drink other types of veg juice on occasion as a nice alternative.

Since that day I've searched high and low for ANY information on toddlers drinking juices OTHER than fruit juice (either pro or con) and have found absolutely nothing out there. Does anyone know why fruit juices are so universally accepted and veg juice never even mentioned as an option for little ones?

And if your DC does drink veg juice - please give recommendations on what juices are best.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I don't know about what's recommended... But my 2 year old LOVES Kagome juices. We don't splurge too often on them, but they are tastey!!
100% veggie/fruit juice... lots of varieties, too.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The V8 I have sitting here says it's 100% veg juice (??) You could probably find an organic equivilant or at the very least a low sodium version..

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I've tried to get mine to drink v8 but they don't like it. they also don't like tomato soup though

Like the pp said I bet you could some with less sodium.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they do have a low sodium version...as far as 100% juice, I just checked the V8 website and to confirm, and looks like that's true - but I remember reading the label of the juice DS tried and I thought for sure I saw "sugar" as one of the ingredients! Maybe my LASIK is wearing off, lol...
:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Do you have Odwalla stuff available? They make good veggie juices that aren't as salty as V8 (and really good carrot juice!)

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
My 3 yr. old loves the low sodium V8. Also, we do drink Odwalla/Naked/Bolthouse Farm juice on occasion, but they are too expensive for us to drink all the time.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Haven't tried veggies juices aside from V8 and whatever veggies may have been in my Naked juice (which dd steals from me everytime) I would love to find a nice non-fruit juice, just for a change of pace. Our favorite juice around here is Cranberry Nectar

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
DD drinks tomato juice, although I have to dilute it for her or she complains. Also, she drinks this cucumber and peppermint drink that DH makes, which is just water, cucumber and peppermint put through the blender. Does that count as veggie juice?

·
Registered
211 Posts
My son LOVES tomato juice, especially if he is let to drink it from the can (which he needs assistance with, I have to hold the can) or drink it with a straw...I don't like tomato juice, so he drinks it all himself (a 4-6 oz can!) or he shares with my mother or dad. He is a veggie fiend anyway (YAY!) and I am so glad, I was the pickiest child you'd ever want to meet.

I am proud of his diverse little taste buds!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llyra
DD drinks tomato juice, although I have to dilute it for her or she complains. Also, she drinks this cucumber and peppermint drink that DH makes, which is just water, cucumber and peppermint put through the blender. Does that count as veggie juice?
Mmm that actually sounds pretty nummy.. I might have to try that

·
Registered
368 Posts
I let my dd try it one time, b/c you know they have to try anything you have. She likes it. Not all the time, but every once in a while I will give her some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts