Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a Tai Chi class for a couple health credits in college, but I don't remember the routine. I only remember a few of the basic precepts behind the movements. Does anyone do Tai Chi for fitness or relaxation? Have you personally experienced any benefits? Can you recommend a book or video that might help me get back into it?

·
Registered
14,311 Posts

Took it long enough to learn the form ... and it took me about a year to learn. Moving meditation ... and yes, found it worked wonderfully. Have zip time to do it anymore, though. Wish I did.

DH studied it for over a decade, when we met he was still deeply into it, now just does it when he can ... and you should see the kids doing it with him, soooo cute ... okay, totally tangential, I know

Anyway, this is where he (and I) studied it and the master we studied with, and he's got wonderful books & videos, etc., available through the site, along with streaming instructional links. And if you'll pardon my saying so, these are definitely *not* your standard popularized mainstream martial arts "Denise Austin Does Tai Chi" type videos.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I know Tai Chi is nice and relaxing, but I don't have the patience for it personally, sigh. I would check out some different web sites for a vido, i.e. barnsandnoble, amazon, half.com, ebay, etc... It is easier to do by watching than it is from a book. I tried it from a book once and did it waaaaay differently than what they do it for real (it is typically slow and smooth--I'm not)

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by merpk

And if you'll pardon my saying so, these are definitely *not* your standard popularized mainstream martial arts "Denise Austin Does Tai Chi" type videos.

That's exactly what I want
I want to get into the philosophies behind the movements and use it mainly for relaxation, not bodybuilding or whatever Denise Austin et al would do.

heldt123 - that was one of my biggest weaknesses when I took the class. My instructor gave me this goal: When you can do Tai Chi outdoors and not disturb the wildlife around you, you're going slow enough.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Yes- I love it. I took classes at Parks and Rec for a few years and then on my own (about 12 years). It is very healing and I always see people practicing it solo in the park or on the beach so it is very popular.

I learned the yang short form and stuck with that- I know that is a common form on tapes and in books.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.