Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I just finished reading "Lib parents, Lib Children." There were hings I liked and things I didn't in that book.... but one helpful peice of advice was to "express anger without insult." In other words, its okay to be loud and to express your angry emotions to your children -- but never to insult, put down, or berate your child. This makes sense to me.

It makes sense that *parents get to express their feelings too!* We work so hard at giving our children appropriate words to express their feelings, and then we expect ourselves to just stifle our anger and frustration. When we do that, it comes out anyway -- but in an out of control crazy fashion. By expressing your anger, even with loud words, you model to your child that it is good and right to express our feelings.

The hard part (the part I'm working on) is learning how to say, "I'm angry about what happened! So angry that I want to scream!" Without insulting, name calling, labelling, or disrespecting our children.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.