Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fully committed to gentle discipline. I believe nobody should hit my kids and for me even yelling at them (except occasionally for volume reasons) is not acceptable. But I seem to lose it often. I often lose my temper to the extent that I am screaming at them to "make them do" what it is I want them to do. And I have hit them more times than can be excused.

I even tried seeing a psychologist, but I live in Switzerland and they are generally not so "anti" discipline here and he didn't seem to understand my problem.

I have done some self-help work and get it down to the fact I want to be in control, but knowing what is going on doesn't stop it from happening.

Does anyone have any experience and/or useful suggestions?

I'd love to hear....

arcenciel

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. It's nice to hear advice from people that have gone through the same thing instead of just getting disapproving looks, or nods of agreement from people who don't actually see a problem with it.

I had just ordered "Liberated Parents, Liberated Children" so I'm really looking forward to it now.

It's tough sometimes for me to take a time out because my 2 ds' are 3 and 4 and sometimes it means ignoring the fact they are wrecking the house or doing something else I would really rather they didn't... but I could do it much more often than I do.

How do you handle accepting things like the fact the house just will be in a mess? Or that they just will drop their food on the floor? Or be noisy in supermarkets? Sometimes these things don't bother me, but I think maybe I also have to change my attitude to sharing my home with them in a way that doesn't happen immediately when they are a baby. - Don't get me wrong, my house is not the clean and tidy type anyway, but my limits are different from theirs!

Thanks again,

arcenciel

SAHM to Ryan 4, Calum 3 and No.3 due in October

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.