Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My twins are 14 months old now. The first year flew by so fast. I am already getting sad thinking about the next 17 years and then they'll be gone. I worry about if they want to go to an out of state college or what if they marry someone who wants them to leave the state and they'll be far away. I shouldn't be worrying about this already should I? Does anyone else get sad thinking about it? Does this feeling ever go away? I am a SAHM and have so much fun with them I just can't imagine them every being away from me. Is this a normal feeling?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I remember crying hysterically about this at around 2 weeks PP.... and still sometimes feel weepy about this 18-odd months later!
I try to remind myself of that feeling when ds is really driving me crazy or waking up for the 100th time in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I think it's normal, but I think your sadness will eventually be outweighed by the pride and happiness you'll feel when you realize what wonderful humans they've become. If they want to go away to college, well, that means they're confident and independent and curious (not that people who stick around their hometown aren't), all things we hope for our babies. It will be bittersweet.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My little guy is only 9 months old and I'm already getting weepy thinking about watching him get on a school bus. It's useful to remember that when I'm tearing my hair out because I can't get any work done!

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
My little guy is only 9 months old and I'm already getting weepy thinking about watching him get on a school bus. It's useful to remember that when I'm tearing my hair out because I can't get any work done!
Same here (my guy is one day older than yours) but at the same time I can't wait until he's talking and can run up to me and say 'I love you mommy!' I do want him to stay a baby and I will be sad when he doesn't want cuddles anymore (and it gets weird to do so). On the other end of the scale, please God don't let him still be living with us when he's 30!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I cried a lot when my first son was a baby for this reason, that it was so transient..then someone told me I'd like all the other ages just as much which proved to be true...

...now I cry cause my second son is 3 months old and it's going too fast

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes! I couldn't wait for dd to grow up and start talking, but I just want ds to stay this size. I was so sad when he grew out of his first little outfit. He looked so cute in it. I keep reminding myself that he still has a lot of baby time left, but I know how fast it goes, too. I guess just knowing that this is our last baby makes me a little sad.

·
Registered
247 Posts
YES ! I am feeling like this too and my baby is exactly one week old !

I had no idea I would feel this way and releived to know that others also do.

It is all so fleeting and I get sad when I think of her not being a baby any more. I wonder how my love will change as she grows, and how I will relate to my "baby" as an adult. In all the pondeing and wondering how I would feel post partum, I never thought about this feeling..

I mean I am over joyed with her and yet so melencholy....

~ Pixie

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think about this often...

In the recent mothering magazine, Ana Rasmussen writes about her 20 yr old son.

"I feel that I am of little interest to him, but I am becoming accustomed to this status in the eyes of my sons and am easy with his indifference."

My boy growing up is a reality. But, his teenage and young adult male indifference is something that I fear and makes me sad.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I somewhat mourn each stage, I feel like I don't get enough time with her in each of them.

I was frantic for a while to get pictures of everything but then I realized that really they don't capture what I feel. Now I just remember and sometimes write her letters.

She's making me (whether I like it or not!) live in the moment and enjoy it because it is so obvious that it passes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My little guy is 9 months old, and he is starting to look more and more like a little person and not a baby...also he is standing, pulling himself up...I can't believe he will be a toddler soon!!! I can't imagine him as an adult and now I really understand how my parents must feel being grandparents!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I worry and cry about this already, and DS is only 3 months old! He's my first... Maybe it gets easier the more kids you have? I hope so, but somehow I doubt it... But I'll either get over it, or it'll totally KILL me...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.