Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. I really hate my hair. This happens to me a lot in pregnancy.
: The texture and volume are great b/c of hormones, but it is unkempt and matronly looking!
: Maybe I am having a girl b/c they say that girls steal a mother's beauty. I just can't find a way to fix my hair that looks cute.

Life is hard, right?!
I don't mean to be complaining about something so ridiculous, but I seem to be able to handle almost anything when my hair looks good. Hmmmm. Maybe I should do something CRAZY and see a professional. I actually do this very seldom b/c it is hard to find a time when I can go. So, I end up cutting excess myself with terrible results.

What should I do? Can anyone relate?

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Well... my hair was always thick and voluminous... but not in a good way. Then I quit shampoo and I started liking it.
: My hair is wavy/curly but when I was shampooing it would be straight on top, curly in the back... and just basically look crappy at all times. Now it's messy, but I feel better about it. Not sure if that helps you, but I know what it's like to completely hate your hair. Volume is over-rated, imo.

· Registered
2,231 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
The texture and volume are great b/c of hormones, but it is unkempt and matronly looking!
:
yes this exactly!!! ughhh.

· Registered
295 Posts
I have just past shoulder-length mostly straight brown hair, and ever since I got pregnant, I've been getting dreadlocks! Big matts of completely un-brushable tangles.
:

My husband has been in the military for 12 years, and I keep threatening him that we're gonna have matching haircuts any day now.

· Registered
1,277 Posts
Just don't go cutting it all off! I used to have beautiful long wavy blonde hair. It has gone through some weird periods with pregnancy/nursing. Anyway- I decided to try something different recently and got it cut to chin length. AGH!!! When I look in the mirror, I feel like I am wearing a wig! Everyone says it looks great but they have to say that! I can't wait for it to grow.

· Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did check out that community. They seem like they will have a lot of good tips, thanks!

If I had long hair that looked like Jennifer Aniston, that would be okay, but I actually really like myself with much shorter hair. DH doesn't love it, though. I don't know Deir, I getting to where I might cut a LOT off. The only thing I like about longer hair for me is putting it in a pony or twist, which, when I am having a good hair day looks quite chic, I must say.

I wish you could see me right now, though. I look 100% normal except for my INSANE hair! Here is some more truth for you: if your hair looks good, everything else about you is better, especially your mental health. You know I am right!

· Registered
304 Posts
I've always hated my hair, and unfortunately DD got exactly the same hair. At least I have a better idea of how to wash and style it than my mom did mine when I was little! It's straight, limp, and dirty blond. My mom has thick, wiry, brown hair. So she always used conditioner and conditioning shampoo on me so it always looked greasy and limp. DD just turned two and I'm already using the same drying shampoo on her that I use for myself!

· Registered
126 Posts
Well to me cutting off my hair short seems to me to be Mom hair lol so I will grin and bear it for now but I have hair the reaches just past my chest (like a mermaid! lol) and Its is usually managable but lately it gets rediculously BIG (volume im assuming) when It dries and its frizzing up like all the time! Basically right now I like like a long haired crunchy hippy! lol
:

· Registered
2,312 Posts
I have a long bob, I used to have long hair last year, it was down to just past where my bra lays. I want it back. The bob is cute and easy though. My hair is uber oily this pregnancy. I'm thinking about giving up shampoo and doing vinegar and baking soda instead.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
I've had the same hairstyle since jr high. The color has gotten darker but the outer top layer gets sun bleached and I look like I bleached my hair and the roots really need a touch up. Most of the time my hair is wavy except for the sides and top which are super straight. It's a little past my shoulders. My hair is really dry and awful right now. I usually have nicer hair when I'm pregnant. What's up?

· Registered
217 Posts
I was growing my hair, it was finally just past my shoulders and all summer I couldn't STAND IT!!! I hated it touching the back of my neck and I wore it up even to sleep!!! and mine is NOT THICK, it appears to be thinning
and I read that wearing it up is bad for thinning hair as is long hair, so I said to my sister (she's a stylist) you need to CHOP IT OFF!!! it's shorter than it's been in years, but I love that it is NOT on my neck and NOT hot at all!!! (I didn't know I was pregnant when all this was going on, but now it makes total sense!!!)

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
I have a long bob, I used to have long hair last year, it was down to just past where my bra lays. I want it back. The bob is cute and easy though. My hair is uber oily this pregnancy. I'm thinking about giving up shampoo and doing vinegar and baking soda instead.
I'll say that no-poo is the best thing I EVER did for my hair.
: No question. The shampoo makes my hair yucky.
It takes a couple weeks to let your oil glands (yes, even people with thin limp hair ) to get used to it, but after that your hair evens out and your hair figures out what it's doing.

I don't recommend frequent baking soda, though... I found it caused a lot more splits than not. I used it a lot in the beginning, before I knew better.
It's much MUCH better, imo, to just use water (no soap, no baking soda, nothing) and scrub your head with your fingers for a long time under the water (like, think minutes, not seconds) - it moves the oil down and stimulates hair growth. Unfortunately, if you have really hard water, it can make that kinda not as good. If it's not working for you, check into solutions for hard water.

There's a whole thread on MDC about no-poo. I've been doing it for about two years now, and have NEVER been happier with my hair. It's not perfect, by any means, but at least it's not half-straight, half curly anymore.

Here's an interesting article on NPR about shampoo... http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102062969 and no, you don't smell like a pickle after using vinegar

Oh, and FWIW, I had one friend whose hair was thinning (like, she was losing it) and she started no-pooing and about a month in she noticed re-growth! and she was only washing her hair with shampoo about once or twice a week before that. I think some people are more sensitive to chemicals in stuff than we think we are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.