Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some MOE microfiber inserts and I just couldn't stand them. They worked fine but I didn't like to touch them, they felt wierd to me and they would cling to everything in the dryer. It drove me nuts.

So I sold them all and bought Joey Bunz to stuff my pockets with. Now I don't like the stinky hemp maintenance and they seem really hard when they get bunched up in my Fuzzi Bunz. So I think my only other alternative is CPFs for stuffers but they are so bulky.

Am I crazy to have sold all my microfiber inserts because I didn't like the feel of them? Anyone else feel this way? Anyone else feel this way and later get over it and decide it wasn't that bad? I'm thinking about trying the micro fiber again.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I used to have issues with it and sold off all my micro inserts.I just recently started using them again and the feel no longer bothers me anymore.In fact I think it is soft.What I do hate is that they attract every piece of dust , fuz, and hair in the house and even after being washed have stuff all over them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Possibly try covering them with a think cotton or hemp jersey, and serge the edges. It won't impair their absorbancy or fast drying, and won't add hardly ANY bulk to them at all, but will keep them feeling soft.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yes, I got rid of my MOE insert for that same reason... then ended up buying microfiber towels at Wal-mart. I sewed them together, then folded and sewed down the middle. Now all I have to do is fold one time and stuff... doesn't but me so much anymore.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not big on the feel of them and wouldn't put directly against baby's skin, but they work great as pocket stuffers on my heavy wetter. I buy the microfiber towels from the auto department at Walmart (5 for $4.95) and they are the perfect fit to tri-fold and stuff along with a JB hemp insert. Nice and trim, quick drying too.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I didn't care for touching the microfiber, either, way back in the days when I used pocket diapers.

I have one fitted diaper with a microfiber soaker and doubler, and I don't find it terribly absorbent, but that may be more of a function of its thinness than the microfiber itself. While I think that the microfiber is reasonably absorbent, it wets to the outside of the diaper quickly and it feels kind of gross and spongey when wet, not like a natural fiber diaper does. So even if a microfiber product is as absorbent as natural fiber, it doesn't absorb into the core of the fiber (probably, there is no core), like hemp or sherpa do-- the wetness just sits on the surface of the fiber, being spongey.

So, if I were you, I would try hemp inserts with fewer layers to reduce the stinky hemp problem-- or search out a WAHM who has sherpa inserts (which I believe are as absorbent as hemp, oz for oz). Ducky Bunz and happy heiny inserts are quick dry (unlike the joeys , which are 6 layers of fabric), and have only 3 or 4 layers max.

Karla

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetladyaz
Possibly try covering them with a think cotton or hemp jersey, and serge the edges. It won't impair their absorbancy or fast drying, and won't add hardly ANY bulk to them at all, but will keep them feeling soft.

What a brilliant idea! I am going to give that a try. Then they can have cute prints too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifetapestry

So, if I were you, I would try hemp inserts with fewer layers to reduce the stinky hemp problem-- or search out a WAHM who has sherpa inserts (which I believe are as absorbent as hemp, oz for oz).
Karla
I'll try the sherpa idea too!

I'm so glad I asked about this. I can possibly rid my life of stinky crunchy hemp!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I like how my microfiber dust cloths feel.....but what wierds me out is that you could have a 100% polyester cloth diapering system
: Poly microfleece inner, poly PUL outer, and poly microfiber inserts.....just seems icky to me.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Me too! I can't stand the feeling of them. I have really dry skin and they just give me the willies. Although, I do use them for cleaning because they wipe down the dining room table really well and wash the car nicely ... but they feel better when soapy and wet. But I couldn't imagine using them in a dipe ... eww.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.