Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally whining here, but I just can't stand water. Drinking it is like taking medicine for me -- purely an act done in the name of good health. I manage to choke down about four glasses a day. I've tried filtered, non-filtered, several kinds of bottled water, seltzer, adding lemon, etc. The only thing that makes it palatable for me is making sure it is teeth-shatteringly cold with lots of ice.

Before getting pregnant, I drank a lot of caffeine-free diet soda. Obviously I'm staying far away from artificial sweeteners now, which means that I'm probably a bit dehydrated all the time (accounting for the constipation, I'm sure). I try to drink some juice (maybe a glass or two a day) but also don't want all that sugar. I don't like tea either. See? Told you I'm whiny!

I know I just have to suck it up and drink my water, but....Yuck! Blech! Anyone else with me?

· Registered
1,145 Posts
I actually can't drink water anymore. The heartburn caused by water or anything water based makes me throwup and it's soooo painful that I seriously want to die. Nothing gets rid of water induced heartburn either.

My MWs said that it's perfectly ok to drink water/juice 50/50 if it's really that bad b/c they didn't want me drinking too much straight juice. During xmas vacation, that stopped working too because the water just kills me. So, I am drinking a LOT of milk, and that's it.

I don't knwo what to tell you that will make things better.

Hugs!

· Registered
4,656 Posts
I'm not a big water fan either. I'm not quite as adamant as you are, but it has been hard to get enough down. Mostly I just don't get thirsty. But dehydration was giving me lots of contractions (that's not what made me go into labor though). You might try adding slices of ginger to hot water, and make kind of a ginger tea. I like to add ginger and honey and lemon, and it also fantastic for a cough or a cold. Do you like any types of tea? I like iced peppermint, so I'd make huge jars of that. You can water down juice or Gatorade. They make fizzy water with flavors but no sweetening, lime, lemon, berry, cherry, etc. maybe that would work?

I wish I could help!

· Registered
2,587 Posts
I hate water too. It causes a lot of heartburn for me. I too am trying to drink more juice, and water that is ice cold.

· Registered
3,329 Posts
I found some organic lemonade and I found that a splash of that in water (with ice) is really tasty and refreshing...it's become my all day drink

· Registered
100 Posts
I have been making a mix of one of the celestial seasonings zinger teas, like raspberry, and adding half juice with lots of ice. That is how I've been getting the water down. Glad I;m not the only person who is hating drinking so much.

· Registered
382 Posts
I try to mentally prepare myself for loving water when TTC, but when it comes down to it, no matter what- I do not like drinking water.
I wish I did.... Like Original Poster, I manage to down ~maybe~ 4-ish glasses per day, but it is just so... not good!! I water down juices and drink mostly that, with my occasional caffiene free coke.
I try to look at it like: 4 glasses in a day is 4 *more* glasses in a day than my body is used to, which is a good thing during pg.

**sigh**

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am so grateful that I'm not alone! Thank you, mamas, for making me feel like less of a freak!

My dad got me a sno-cone machine a couple of years ago that has been sitting in my basement unused -- I think I might haul it out to make crushed ice for my water glass.
In the meantime, alliegad, I'm with you -- trying to give myself credit for drinking the water I do manage to get in, which is WAY more than I want!

· Registered
9,004 Posts
I HATE WATER!!!!! I cannot stand the taste of it (yes there is a taste) and it takes me almost two days to drink one full glass. I will not drink tap water from anywhere, I don't care how "great" the water is there. If I could I would have a filter for a pitcher but don't so I just fill a pitcher with water, refrigerate it for a few days, add some natural flavoring (usually lemon) and proceed to drink from there. I have had to find other ways to stay hydrated during the summer cause it's so bad. My husband has to force it down my throat when I'm sick or I would get severely dehydrated. I suppose I am damaging my body (I have gotten better since becoming pregnant) but it is so SICK!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.