Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a dozen Ecobaby Organic Grow-With-Me diapers today...

(background: we're not having a very good experience with hemp, so I got one a few weeks ago and loved it so much that I decided to simplify my stash and go with the grow-with-me fitteds and prefolds)

I was surprised by the packaging. Each and every one of these ECObaby diapers was in its own individual plastic wrapper. Also, each one of the diapers had a goldtone safety pin (not just a plastic thingy) attaching its very own large cardstock type label to the tag of the diaper.

Am I the only one who has a problem with this? I mean, it sort of defeats the ecological purpose of buying OC diapers and trying to reduce waste. I've now got a huge stack of plastic bags and safety pins to find a use for.

Maybe they could come up with another packaging option? I'm thinking of contacting the company. Or am I over-reacting? (I'm pregnant, so that is entirely likely!)

I just find it odd that a company that is proclaiming with its name to be ecologically conscious wouldn't find this to be terribly wasteful, and wouldn't expect its ecologially-minded customers to find it wasteful, too. It makes me feel that ultimately they're just a business making money off the whole "eco" deal without really being mindful.

·
Registered
684 Posts
That seems a bit odd to me, too. And definitely wasteful. I think you should contact the company. They just might appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It does seem wasteful and I think you should write to Ecobaby with your concerns. Posting something here alerts other mamas that they should speak up if they don't want to receive a boat load of packing materials like you did. Writing the company is an important second step that may motivate them to change the way they do things and will have more of an impact in the long run.

Kudos for recognizing wasteful practices,

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ooh that's a good point! It is wasteful, but it sounds like they pre-package each one ahead of time and when they get a multiple order they just grab a stack of them and throw them in a bag. They probably try to save time that way.

I save all plastic bags my diapers come in and when I sell a dipe or a wool item I just put it into one of those bags and ship it....I love recycling them

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by threeforme2005
I save all plastic bags my diapers come in and when I sell a dipe or a wool item I just put it into one of those bags and ship it....I love recycling them

I do the same.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
The paper label (I think it's recycled) and the metal safety pin don't bother me too much, but the plastic bag does bother me. I do think they should be encouraged to stop using plastic bags. Good thinking!

·
Registered
418 Posts
That would really get my goat thats for sure! They could wrap the diapers in tissue paper if they MUST wrap them each individually.I would definatly being calling them or writing them to give them a piece of my mind!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanted to add that I'm pretty sure they do the packing at the factory, since I've gotten their dipes from different places and they're all packed like that... I just didn't want to blame the WAHMs who own the companies I've bought them from. They just toss them in a box and mail 'em out.

... I bet they'd save some money if they didn't over-pack, too. Couldn't they just make a flyer to enclose with their diapers, w/an explanation about the CDs like most other companies do? and wow it's annoying to have to unpin all those labels.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It sounds like a lot of packaging, but I think that they do it to try and protect the dipes, as they are made in a factory setting.

Can you find a way to reuse the bags?

(Note to self, remove annoying pins for Ali... :LOL )

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, maybe there are packaging restrictions when exporting to the US? I remember a clothing company in the UK said they couldn't ship to me because of pkg restrictions and insurance issues. Maybe it's something like that...

In that case, though it still bugs me, I'd understand because I do like supporting the rural families that grow the cotton in India (it makes me feel less guilty about not purchasing from a WAHM). Maybe the company will tell me why they pkg like this.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ustasmom
I bought cloth grocery bags from Eco-bag and each one came wrapped in a plastic bag. I was disappointed as the whole purpose of buying cloth grocery bags is avoid using plastic bags.
Wow! That is ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts