Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My youngest ds will be two in a couple of weeks. He does NOT like us to read him books at all. Once in a while, if we're lucky, he'll sit through a simple picture book, but if there's any kind of story that involves real listening, he only lasts a couple of pages. I just don't think he has the comprehension or attention span to listen to a story. He loves to look at books by himself and just flip through pages though. I really wish he would sit and listen a little longer. His older brother loved being read to at that age. Anyone else's toddler like this?

TIA!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I dont think it's normal if they DO sit long enough for any kind of plot or story line!!!
Seriously, toddlers are all about MOTION!!! DD loves the *idea* of reading, as in she will bring me 8-10 books and lead me to the couch, but actually reading them, NO way! She wants to turn the pages at her own pace and is generally not too interested in the story either. What helps is if I just point things out to her in the pictures. Or ask her to point things out to me. Every now and again, she will actually sit through a book, unfortunately for me, it's the same 4 books over and over and over and over again.
: I wouldn't worry about it at all. What is important to me is that she develop her physical coordination, social skills, and life skills at this point. We have TONS of books, visit the library and the bookstore at least 3 times a week, I read a ton, there are books in every room of the house. So she does see that the adults around here like to read, and she has plenty of access to books. She will also totally surprise me at the bookstore and pick an adult type book to 'read'. Today it was an encyclopedia of reptiles and amphibians.
It held her interest for a good 10 minutes! She also seems to like real pictures of animals and people as opposed to drawings or cartoonish type of books. And she will sit through a book if our neighbors read to her, they are 6 & 9. Gives me a break, gives them a chance to practice reading, and it gives her a great time to bond with older kids. HTH

·
Registered
694 Posts
DD doesn't like for me to read the actual lines to her. She will turn the pages and look at pictures and sometimes point at something and want me to talk about it with her. She will sometimes sit for long times just flipping through pages and looking at pictures on her own, but she doesn't like being read to.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
My oldest absolutely had no interest in books until he was 4- then he became such an avid reader that we can read 5 or 6 stories to him and he will happily listen to each one.
My youngest is 2, and can listen to one, but that's about it.
I wouldn't worry much about it. I know the ads all say "read to your kids", and advocate it really early, but for some kids thats just not realistic.
I kept books around the house so that he would get interested in them, look at them, etc, and I would keep trying here and there, happily putting the book up if he were not interested, and eventually he developed an interest.
Don't rush it. His interest in stories will come.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Mine doesn't like to listen to narrative either. He loves to look at pictures and talk about them, though. It just occurred to me that it may be related to how he's developing language. He was a one-word talker for a long time and has just recently ventured out into two- and three-word sentences, even though his vocabulary is huge. So it makes sense that he wants to point at things and name one object or concept at a time, instead of listening to longer sentences. He reads a book like this: "Fish! Two fish! Sleeping. Eating! Mmmmm. Fish gone! Fish hiding. Blue! Purple! Purple fish! Running. Mmm, chips. Mommy fish! Kissing." If I try to read the actual text, which has rhymes and stuff, he gets bored because he doesn't care about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.