Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And if so do your kids play with it? I'm thinking of one of those big free standing ones. They can make one out of chairs, but winter is setting in and I'm looking for something more for them to play with. My kids would probably tip it over and make it into a boat LOL- but they might use it. I have a 4 1/2 yearold and a 19 month old. My 4 year-old is very creative and imaginative.<br><br>
Do you have any other toys along those lines your kids REALLY play with?<br><br>
TIA

·
Registered
102 Posts
Our puppet stand has been everything from a lemonade stand, store, puppet show etc.<br>
Ours has little shelves on one side so they usually steal my stuff and tell me I have to come to their store and buy it back. He he.<br>
We got ours at a consignment shop really cheap.<br>
I hope you enjoy yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am just getting a puppet theater from friends whose kids have outgrown theirs. I have a four year old dd and a 7 mo ds. And I too am hoping to have some indoor fun with it. I'm in the south so the days you can't go out to play, even in winter, are few and far between. Still, when they happen, one needs to be prepared, right?<br><br>
As for other fun winter toys: I've seen in One Step Ahead (and other toy mags) these small indoor jumpy trampoline-y things. Don't have one so I don't know if they're worth the money, just a thought.<br><br>
Can't wait to see other ideas though. Wishing us all wild and wonderful winter fun.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
We have a pupet theater that hangs on a tension rod in an open doorway. Bought it at <a href="http://www.hearthsong.com" target="_blank">www.hearthsong.com</a> with some really cool puppets (they have legs). DDs (7 and 3) love it. And it is very small to store. When you take it down, you just roll it up so it is just slightly bigger than the tension rod. Toss it in the hall closet. Easy. There are lots of different puppets (you can buy by the set or individually) to choose from - think they have 3 Little Pigs, Cinderella, Peter Pan, and general king, queen, prince, princess, fairy (we have that one).<br><br>
Toy that has gotten the most play from my kids and EVERY kid that has ever walked into my house - a wooden play kitchen that my dad made me in the early 70s. My dh repainted it and I bought new play dishes and food (I like Little Tikes and Playskool brands).<br>
Kirsten

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
about the puppet theatre......we sort of have one. The kids (2 1/2 and 5 1/2) have a few puppets, some store bought some homemade. I found an unused curtain and one of those tension rods that fit at (my) waist height in the doorframe. TA DA! Free from stuff we had/found in the new house. The kids love it. They not only enjoy using it as a puppet theatre, but they like to pretend it is a cave, door to another world, etc.<br>
The ugly plastic play kitchen (consignment shop $20) by little tykes has gotten a HUGE amount of play and was definiatly worth the $. I certainly would not have paid more than I did for it 9i saw them new for something like $100!!! ack!) I sure wish I could have gotten a wood one...but the kids dont seem to care one way or the other. I filled it with mostly metal and wood accessories.<br>
My oldest loves action figures of any kind and will play with them for hours.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
My kids have the kind that is mounted on the tension rod as well and I set it up in the frame of one of their closets and they love it. It is a clubhouse, a cave and so much more. Plus I can just roll it up to store it. THey also have a very simple table top finger puppet theater that dh made them out of 2 small pieces of playwood sanded with a hole cut in one. I made little curtains out of scrap fabric!<br><br>
Also my kids love old large boxes that we paint in the garage and then cut holes in and "attach" together. Hours of make believe fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts