Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my ds (6) had a seizure. He stopped breathing and I called 911. The squad car got here first. The policeman took one look at him, picked him up and took him to the ER himself. I followed about 5 minutes behind. (That was a really scary ride, not knowing if my kid was going to make it or not.)<br><br>
When I arrived at the hospital I was told that he was conscious, but not with it. He couldn't move his muscles well and he couldn't talk. That lasted about two hours. It was SOOO scary.<br><br>
They've now run every test in the book on him - blood work, EKG, strep test, urine samples, CAT scan, EEG, etc. All because they said he's "too old" to have a febrile seizure. He had been sick and running a fever all day, but it never went over 102 and he was acting normal, so I didn't treat it. (I had a dr. actually ask why I hadn't treated! Like I caused the seizure! Same dr also gave me a hard time about not vaccinating, but that's a different story.)<br><br>
Anyway, has anyone else had a child this old (6.5) with a febrile seizure? It seems as if they want to find another cause for it and I'm so scared!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
no on the age thing, but one of my twins, dd 4mos, had one on friday, convulsions, eyes rolled back, 10 min long... no fever, no symptoms, perfect health, all test came back negative mri/cat. they (neurologists) want to do more tests to figure it out. the pediatrician on call at the hospital that night told me "it was probably my fault she had a seizure" because we didn't vacc her. this was much later on, AFTER ruling out meningitis. jerk.<br><br>
i read about vitamin b6 deficiency and upped my dosage(they're breastfed), am taking her in today to the chiropractor asi have heard great things about this as a treatment. i have read that with a seizure disorder(not even sure we have that but) sleep deprivation, flashing lights, stress... all contribute to having more seizures. can't hurt to try some natural therapies.<br><br>
Charlotte was a horrible napper, ie never napped at all, up until friday's seizure. now she sleeps alot. maybe from the trauma?<br><br>
just thoiught i would share our story, sorry your little boy had to go through that mama!<br><br>
Paige

1 - 2 of 2 Posts