Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am scheduled for Mohs surgery to remove skin cancer on my forehead. I am doing as much research as I can at this point and wondered if anyone here has ever had this procedure done or knows anything about it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My DH had it on his nose. It was a long process because they have to keep checking that they got it all but it was all done in the doctor's office and he was able to drive home so I think it must have just been local anesthetic. He had his nose bandaged for a couple days or so. It healed up really well. It was maybe 2 years ago and I can't see any scar on his nose. After he had the Mohs, he did a treatment with Aldara cream to get rid of any other cancer cells.

Good luck!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had it for a basal cell cancer on my nose about ten years ago. They only had to remove one layer, so it was quick for me. I didn't have any pain, and I was nursing at the time so I had no meds or anything that I can remember.

I can still slightly see the scar, but it's really nothing. Especially considering that the derm I see now will do a deep biopsy that leaves big scars!
Good luck on your surgery!!

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaof5boys View Post
Especially considering that the derm I see now will do a deep biopsy that leaves big scars!
Good luck on your surgery!!

What do you mean? Because he has to use a different removal method?

My dermatologist scraped (with local anesthesia) some of my spot and biopsied that which found it was pigmented basal cell carcinoma. Then he scheduled me for the mohs surgery.
6yrs ago he used a punch to remove a deep chunk of skin on my arm with a suspicious mole.

btw, did you have a consultation with the mohs surgeon or did you just go in that day?

Thank you for sharing

·
Registered
519 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzharmony View Post
What do you mean? Because he has to use a different removal method?

My dermatologist scraped (with local anesthesia) some of my spot and biopsied that which found it was pigmented basal cell carcinoma. Then he scheduled me for the mohs surgery.
6yrs ago he used a punch to remove a deep chunk of skin on my arm with a suspicious mole.

btw, did you have a consultation with the mohs surgeon or did you just go in that day?

Thank you for sharing

My current dermatologist usually freezes spots on my nose, but I had one spot that kept coming back so she did a biopsy. She numbed the spot and then cut it out with a razor blade (or something like a razor blade- I think!) It left a pretty good scar, and the last time I was in she said she could laser the spot and then I could put a cream she recommended on it to get rid of the scar. Since I'm still nursing I opted to wait.

I'm really sorry- It was so long ago I don't really remember the sequence of events! I took out my medical files and found doctors notes. So I saw a dermatologist at one clinic, and then was referred to Mayo Clinic for the MOHS. From the dates it appears that I had surgery and the consult on the same day, although I vaguely remember meeting the dermatologist before the surgery, because it was in a different building. Hmmm... sorry I can't remember more!! The notes said I had local anesthetic with lidocaine and epinephrine. The area was closed with steri strips. The notes at the 2 month follow up said that the scar is pink and should decrease in pinkness after approximately 4-6 months.

Hope that helps!! I'll keep you in my prayers! Keep me posted on how you're doing!!

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the surgery today and the good news was they only needed to go 1 layer deep. That layer was clear. I suppose that means the first bit that was biopsied last month was all the cancer there was. Anyway, i'm relieved there is no more cancer there.

Unfortunately there is a pretty big incision and it looks like there is a good chance of scarring. I look a bit frankenstein-ish at this point. He had to slice extra at each corner to make a line to avoid puckering. He said there will be a vertical line on my forehead.
I'm going to poke around on google or post here to ask for advice on minimizing scarring. The derm also said that I should expect up to half of my face to bruise from the surgery. I hope that doesn't scare my kids.
Thank you for your support

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.