Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a photocopied version of it here, somewhere....

Honestly, I think you'd do just as well with any type of midwifery textbook. There are some remarks/ideas in this text that I feel are downright dangerous!

(I believe there is mention of tugging on cord to "help" placental delivery)

Do you have specific worries/fears about birthing? Most "complications" are really variations of normal, and can be handled quite readily... Don't underestimate the power of your mammalian instincts, mama!

I'd be happy to send you the copy I have, if you still need it! (assuming I can find it in this house! LOL!)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have it, but it is packed away right now in preparation for moving. Who wants to check to see if it can be reprinted? The time is right, folks. Dr. White, has gone on to his heavenly reward, but his words will last forever...Could someone check on this?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
According to Amazon.com, there is a 2002 edition currently in print. Of course, it's a special order anyway.
(I found that I can request a copy be ordered for me by Borders, so that's what I'm doing.)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just an FYI - the best place to look up books is ww.campusi.com - it's great! The books are all listed by price, with postage charges included, so you can see the best deal. Love it.

I was not impressed with Emergency Childbirth. I don't think I'd really recommend it, although I guess some people would disagree. It's only a handful of pages, and I didn't find any information there I hadn't already come across by reading through the different UC lists. The emergency baptism section, imo, also really detracted from any legitimacy the book would have had if it HAD had new information.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I agree there wasn't too much new info in the EC book. It might be good as a quick reference for a partner who isn't informed about birth or inclined to research (it's a quick read and it is spiral-bound), although I agree that some of his advice isn't what I'd be comfortable having. He does say at the beginning that most women who have an "emergency childbirth" (presumably because their labor has gone too fast for them to get to the hospital, lol) are doing fine and are likely not truly in need of real help. That was a positive message, at least.

I would send you my copy as well, but it's in the US with my boxes of stuff. I guess I didn't need it/like it enough to bring it over with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by folkymom
The emergency baptism section, imo, also really detracted from any legitimacy the book would have had if it HAD had new information.

ITA! That was the freakiest part of the book for me. Even if I did even have an emergency, G-d forbid, I sure as heck don't want any emergency personnel baptizing my Jewish baby, "In the name of the..." Ack!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I also need it.
Originally I had a friend who got it on the TP for me, but is since not my friend anymore and I seriously doubt she'll give it to me when she gets it. So now I need another source!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Twisti, it occurs to me you should probably also check at Half-Price Books, if there's one in your area. That's where I'd be looking if I was still in Texas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts